Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #86328 09/30/10 04:21 PM
    B
    bh14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Ok,am I nuts? I read the book reviews for The C@pture (Gu@dians of G@ 'Hoole) and everyone raved about this book. DC started reading it and LOVED it, until DC became very disturbed by a few chapters (pushing off the cliff, wiping them out with swords...) what the heck? Not one mention of a negative review could I find (though I looked through several pages of reviews only). DC is sensitive, but has read so many books with parts that are less than pleasant, but DC was deeply disturbed by parts of this book. ANyone else? We planned to see the movie but not so sure now.

bh14 #86334 09/30/10 05:33 PM
    With early readers, the only way I know to avoid this is to pre-read the book. This problem has always been a concern of mine with dd7 who is now reading 250 to 350+ page books, needless to say, I do alot of reading. smile I'm looking for better suggestions too

bh14 #86335 09/30/10 05:39 PM
    B
    bh14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    DD is not even an early reader. I used to pre-read but I can't possibly keep up with the amt. of books she reads anymore and for the most part, we've been good, but I was REALLY surprised that one bothered her so much!

bh14 #86339 09/30/10 05:54 PM
    D
    D
    We have had a lot of trouble finding appropriate content for our kids. There are nice book reviews at the site below, searchable by "sensitive readers" as well as by age.

http://armadillosoft.com/booksetc/l...le=&authorLName=&ageLevelConcept[]=3&forSensitiveKids=y&Request=Look+for+books

DeeDee

Last edited by DeeDee; 09/30/10 05:55 PM. Reason: attempted to fix link
    bh14 #86341 09/30/10 06:05 PM
    B
    bh14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Great site! THANKS!!!! That should help!

bh14 #86351 09/30/10 07:20 PM
    O
    O
    When DS10 was younger and was going to read a series I would read the first one to see how it was but it's too much for me now. I tell him to be kind to himself with his reading. If the story does not feel right or he thinks I will not approve then we need to find another book. DS is sensitive and loved the Guadians of Ga'Hoole. It may be your is just not ready for these now. My son is scare of Harry Potter and won't go near them or the movies. I would suggest not going to a movie of a book he is not comfortable with.

bh14 #86361 09/30/10 08:34 PM
    M
    M
    Movie review...don't read if you want to go see it. I will give parts away. We took my DS5 who is fairly sensitive to scary things; but I couldn't find a bad review of it. He wasn't scared by it; but there was no smile the whole way through either. The movie was pretty "dark." It should have never been compared with Happy Feet in any way. It is not a cute movie. It is good representation of good winning over evil. The evil being pretty terrible, as the brother makes his fluffy little sister go moon-blind to show he is worthy of being a bad guy. It was mostly about fighting and bad relationships with a very short, nice ending after Soren kills the bad leader with a burning stick through his chest. IMHO;)

bh14 #86372 10/01/10 07:36 AM
    C
    C
    We went to the movie. The whole family (DH, DD8, and I) had a good time. I didn't realize it was going to be so violent, but we liked it. DD said it was the first 4 books whittled down into one movie.

A year ago, it would have been too scary.

DD did cry during much of Anne of Green Gables that we watched at home the same weekend. I did suggest turning it off, but she wanted to know if it was going to end okay like the book. I think there is a difference between what is inappropriate upsetting and what is Dabrowski-like emotional overexcitable. Does that make any sense?

We had a good family conversation after the guardians movie about how people who claim to be the "Pure Ones" are usually historically the "bad guys."

Warning: sleep deprived
    bh14 #86390 10/01/10 10:14 AM
    B
    bh14 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Mom0405... that's the exact kind of review I needed... those were the parts that bothered DC (the pushing owls off cliffs, driving swords or whatever through their chests.) The story line was good, minus the parts that were upsetting. Again, DC hasn't been upset by most books anymore, but I was really surprised. DC will also not finish a book if it is disturbing. I don't necessarily finish every book I read if I really don't like it or can't get into it etc. Kids are no different. Thanks for the movie reviews, from those that have seen it. We like the happy, leave with a good feeling ones, not so much the "dark" ones. We did, however, see the last airbender and everyone liked that, though they have also seen the cartoons and read the books and knew what to expect. SIGH! You just NEVER KNOW, I guess! THX!!!!

bh14 #86412 10/01/10 01:32 PM
    B
    B
    We are going through the same thing with DS7 - he is very sensitive and when I picked this book up to look through at the bookstore, I could tell right away that it would be too much for him - too much violence :-( We attempted Harry Potter earlier and that was a no go as well....it is hard to find books that are on their reading level but are not too over the top with the dark vs. good that it scares them :-( Thanks for the weblink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM