Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 307 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Y
    yannam Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    though he mastered

other day i was reading in this forum somebody put their kid in 7th grade when he is 7!
    Once you 'settle' your whole life you will doing same thing over and over again... do not get me wrong even the best scientists in the world too (just an example) do the same thing in the whole life, working on one topic...

my point is why to put a child 2-3 grades higher and push (push and push) him/her in to more challenging stuff.. when rest of the life all you do is what you have done previous day

i am not commenting on particularly person or thread( sorry if I ...) and I am just expressing one view....my point is reading/ writing or doing math is just one small part of life..one uses may be 5 % or less of what he/she learnt....

just think about it and comment

Last edited by yannam; 09/25/10 01:25 PM.
    Because your child cries every day afterschool because of the mind-numbing boredom?

That would just be number 1 on my list.

Cat

S
    S
    Keeping a child in school at a grade level that he's already mastered:
    (1) may prevent the child from ever learn how to face difficult intellectual challenges, i.e., learn how to use his brain
    (2) may be excruciatingly boring (like prison?)
    (3) may kill the desire to learn

In other words, holding back a child who is capable may be worse than a complete waste of time, it's a waste of a mind. Why should all those hours and that beautiful brain be simply wasted?

The need for challenge is about preventing [potential life-long] underachievement. To quote one of my favorite passages from the GDC website:

Originally Posted by
    When gifted children are not given opportunities to work at their own level and pace, they settle for less than their best. They learn to slide by without stretching themselves. Patterns of underachievement are subtle and cumulative; they become harder to overcome with each year. Students who attain A�s on their papers with no effort are not prepared to take more challenging classes in high school and college. When work is too easy, self-confidence to attempt difficult tasks is steadily eroded. A student who has the potential to win a scholarship to an Ivy League university settles for a B average at a state college.
    (bold mine; http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/About_GDC/whytest.htm )

It is not necessarily true that once grown up, a person will do the same thing over and over again without intellectual stimulation. Or that a person uses only a small percentage of what they learned. That depends entirely on the career in question!!! There are quite a few intellectual careers. When I was a lawyer, nearly every day presented some amount of intellectual challenge, often a very significant amount. (And harking back to an older thread of yours, keep in mind that some of the more intellectually challenging careers pay very well.)

I feel it is my job as a parent to see to it that my children develop their brains to their fullest potential, at least until they're adults and can make their own decisions. I may not achieve my goal, but that's my goal, I'm going to try. That's my two cents smile

And now your turn - why should a child, who is more capable than others, be limited to learning only what "average" kids are capable of learning at a given point in time?

Last edited by snowgirl; 09/25/10 02:17 PM.
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by yannam
    ... do not get me wrong even the best scientists in the world too (just an example) do the same thing in the whole life, working on one topic...

I have a boring, repetitive job. That's why they pay me. If it was fun and challenging and stimulating I'd have to pay them.

My tax dollars are paying for my children's education. When the school starts paying me to send them, I'll no longer complaint about inappropriate placement.

I
    I
    Agree with snowgirl. Not every job is boring and repetitive. I am a independent project manager, and while there are occasional boring days, generally my job has lots of variety and challenge (some days I'd like a little less challenge, though smile ). One reason I have this job is because I would jump out the window if I had a boring, repetitive job. My kid feels the same way about school. Her mind runs at a high idle (like mine, I think), and nothing makes her crazier than having nothing to do or having to spend time repeating stuff she already knows.

C
    C
    "My brain hurts when I am not learning anything."

Warning: sleep deprived
    Val Offline
    Once you 'settle' your whole life you will doing same thing over and over again... do not get me wrong even the best scientists in the world too (just an example) do the same thing in the whole life, working on one topic...

I'm a scientist, and I wouldn't say that this statement is true for me or other scientists I know. Yes, I have to repeat experiments again and again to ensure that results are valid. But this isn't the same as doing the same exact thing forever (or even for five years).

Some people choose to work on the same disease or general question for a very long time. But:

1) it's their choice

2) they don't do the exact same thing on the same topic the whole time.

my point is why to put a child 2-3 grades higher and push (push and push) him/her in to more challenging stuff

In the case of my kids, no one pushed them. Grade skips were natural things. If my daughter had been forced to go to kindergarten, she would have gone mad with boredom and the too-easy work would have damaged her. She got extra acceleration in reading/spelling/science because, again, even the +1 subjects were too easy for her.

School should be about a proper learning environment, not about doing the same thing everyone else does.

Val

Last edited by Val; 09/25/10 03:35 PM.
    C
    C
    Because grades are an arbitrary construct designed by a system for ease of processing paperwork? They have nothing to do with what children are capable of and when.

W
    W
    Having skipped grades and believing in them, I now have a daughter, whose birthday is late and is therefore one of the youngest in the class. I am working on accelerating her math but see that there are other ways, the grade level works. They start chess and Spanish in K, so she is catching up since she started in the school in grade 1.

She can do her weekly book reports on books she chooses, so she doesn't have to do it on grade level. I have found ways to boost her science with extra curricular.

What I do find, is that she is learning social skills. She does gravitate to kids in grade 2 at recess sometimes but there are all kinds of social things she seems to be learning with her classmates. Little social cues and relationship things that you sort of take for granted but happen at this age when you go to school with kids day in and day out.

So yes, the math has to be accelerated, otherwise she would be bonkers. And I can provide her with other things like science, piano and mandarin outside of school, which helps but school is not just about rote learning.

Yes, she does relate to older kids but it isn't the same and what she learns with her peers. I am probably not explaining well but it is a bunch of little things/

I skipped with a few peers and I like skipping grades with peers. I am not so fond of skipping grades without peers. There I find I lean towards pullouts.

Ren

C
    C
    Count me as another person with a job (academic) which is practically never boring. Indeed, my choice of job has been somewhat limited by my total inability to tolerate boredom. I have post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms in boring half day training courses (which I have to do on average once every 5 years)! I sometimes think that if I hadn't had to endure so much boredom at school, I might be less emotionally scarred by it, be more able to tolerate some boredom as an adult, and have a wider choice of career open to me! I'm not complaining for myself, it's worked out OK, but I absolutely will not make my DS go through what I went through at school.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs