Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    acs Offline
    DS has rejected garlic bread that has had a piece of parsley on it. The parsley was picked off (by me) long before it got to his plate and he had no way of seeing the bread before I got it to him. There was nothing green on the bread at all when I gave it him. He took one bite and declared, "Yuck, this tastes like parsley" And he refused to eat pizza he could make out the faintest bit of herb on it: " I see green ! I see something green!" Smart kids are hard to fool.

But a few weeks ago, he actually requested cream of spinach soup (pretty darn green!) for dinner, even though he'd never even had it before. I almost fainted. But he even had seconds. So there is hope (but maybe not for another 8 years--that's what the multi-vitamin is for LOL)

W
    W
    I found consistency works with DD3. And it helps when she wants to play a game. We wanted to do a specific game night. But now find it works better when she wants to play a game and which game.

And Chutes and Ladders doesn't work, her rules only. But Candyland works, Bingo (we have spelling bee bingo and Diego bingo), dominoes worked once by the rules, now the way she wants to play it.

And puzzles when she wants to do them, then it is 5 of them. Although we got the 48 pieces floor puzzles, she likes a smaller puzzle and to do a few of them.

We also got the Marble Run (220 pieces) which works as a family thing. It is hard enough for DH and I to set it up.

We do many family concerts and shows, child oriented ballet companies. But we really wanted to do family night.

It would be nice to have date night. We tried, but that just seemed like so much work the next day because I still had to get up early and do the routine.

Ren

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Tara, I love your list! Especially the evening stroll around the neighborhood. Our weather is so beautiful but sometimes life is so busy, we don't remember to do things like that. Gotta make a point.

It must be different with only children than with a bunch of them. I like to eat & talk like Ania's family (often with grandparents over, and each kid gets to highlight something from the day, or another couple, where kids take more of a backseat, but still get to contribute). We play board games, and recently have loved doing puzzles. DH likes the boys to help with yard work, then dinner and hot tub together (best conversations are in the hot tub). Sometimes we'll play pool or have ping-pong tournament. In the summer, we have a very set routine, swim, dinner, tv program. I don't think we watch much TV compared to the rest of America, but we have been enjoying downloaded programs or disc sets (no commercials) for about 30 minutes before bed. The trick is finding programs that are acceptable to the whole family. My kids are a little older (and perhaps I'm overly lenient about content); we watch Heroes, Jericho, The Unit, LOST (some of these have multiple seasons out). So exciting and fun to all be together after each one finishes their homework, lessons. I know real intellectuals don't do TV, but...

As your son gets older, he'll grow out of the dominance of board game mentality (mine did that too) AND he'll be more involved with outside activities that will make evenings together rarer and more special (sports games/practices, lessons, etc.).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM