Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Can anyone recommend a series of science books for a child reading at a 4th or 5th grade level? My daughter has in the past enjoyed the "Let's Read and Find Out" series, but it is way too simplistic for her now. She seems to love all areas of science.

Thank you!
    Dawn

Have you tried the brainwaves? My DS LOVES them. They have a lot of fact but also are presented in an amusing cartoony setting. It's like like the magic school bus books squared and without main characters. It's from DK publishing, they do pretty decent encyclopedias. Fiction rather than non fiction was the Stephen and Lucy hawking series George and the secret key to the universe. My only complaint with it is that the main character has some ineractions with bullies and stuff appropriate for a 10 year old but not so much for my 4.5!!! But I enjoyed it as well, we knew a lot of the science discussed so seeing it applied really appealed to my son and the stuff we didn't know was explained really well. Also someone elsewhere mentioned the uncle Albert books but I haven't found them yet.

Hawking book

Brainwaves

O
    O
    We have 2 of these books in our home library. There are a good investment but try one first from the library. My DS10 has kept his interest in these for about 4 years.

How Come? by Kathy Wollard

How Come? Planet earth by Kathy Wollard

How Come? In the Neighborhood by Kathy Wollard

How Come? Every Kid's Science Questions Explained

There is also an ultimate book thread here. You might find something. Also look at mindware.com for ideas.

http://www.how-come.net/ Check out this website. You can ask a question and if it's published in the newspaper they will send you a book. We sent in 5 question. Wish us luck.

Last edited by onthegomom; 09/22/10 06:22 PM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by sdrothco
    My daughter has in the past enjoyed the "Let's Read and Find Out" series, but it is way too simplistic for her now.
    I'm not familiar with that series so I don't know how this one would compare, but have you ever looked at the science books by Simon Basher? Here's a link to his chemistry one. I've seen them in the Barnes & Noble stores at times as well if you might want to look at the books in person and see if they look like the appropriate level. They are very visually appealing and the info doesn't appear to be written for super-young kids despite the cartoonish nature of the covers.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    These are great suggestions, thank you! I've requested all of them from my library. I love my library. smile

If there are any other suggestions still out there, I'd love to hear more! It's tough keeping up with her reading.

The let's read and find out series are basic science books for younger kids. They have a wide variety of topics and most are well written. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=let%27s+read+and+find+out&x=0&y=0

--Dawn

Min Offline
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Originally Posted by sdrothco
    My daughter has in the past enjoyed the "Let's Read and Find Out" series, but it is way too simplistic for her now.
    I'm not familiar with that series so I don't know how this one would compare, but have you ever looked at the science books by Simon Basher? Here's a link to his chemistry one. I've seen them in the Barnes & Noble stores at times as well if you might want to look at the books in person and see if they look like the appropriate level. They are very visually appealing and the info doesn't appear to be written for super-young kids despite the cartoonish nature of the covers.

This made me chuckle. My sons are pouring over those books at the moment I read this. I highly recommend them.

My DS enjoyed "The Anatomy Academy" series very much. They are sort of text/workbooks in a series of three.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    My kids loved Horrible Science -- horrible books

C
    C
    Originally Posted by kaibab
    My kids loved Horrible Science -- horrible books
    Mine too - he got this boxed set for his 6th birthday IIRR, and it was a huge hit. I have heard complaints that they are "flavoured boy", but I've also heard of girls who love them too.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks so much for the additional suggestions everyone! I will check them out!

--Dawn

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM