Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 410 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    Jamie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    gratified3 - Thank you so much for your candid response! I look forward to discussing things with you further as soon as I figure out how to properly navigate around this board! crazy

Mia Offline
    Oh, it's you! Oh, I'm so glad you came over. This board will be a tremendous resource to you; I've found it absolutely invaluable, and you and I are coming from similar places with our kids, I think!

Mia
    How's the Floridian sun treating you, Mia?

We've got 3-6 inches of snow predicted for tomorrow. Ugh. frown

Kriston
    Mia Offline
    Ugh, we're back. Ugh. Sunburn will fade *very* quickly, I assure you! :P

Mia
    J
    Jamie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi Mia! Back already? I hope ds had a great time (and you,too - of course).

Jamie "B"

acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Jamie
    acs - I am not sure I know what I want to accomplish through grade skip as much as what I want to avoid. I want to avoid my dd having to endure the mind numbing drudgery of repetitve instruction on topics she mastered over three years ago. I want to avoid her feeling like a complete misfit because no one else is capable of performing even close to her level. I want to avoid her learning how to hide her abilities and thus, her true self in order to *fit in* with *everyone else*.

I agree that each year will bring something positive, but my problem is - will one small positive overshadow the many negatives? Her K year has been a great one solely b/c of an awesome teacher. Even her K teacher worries about moving her on to 1st grade.

Much of this has to do more with personality (of your children, the school, your family) than just academic ability. DS was reading at about 4th grade level when he started K. But he would sit in circle time hand raised enthusiastically ready to identify the "letter of the day!" He was just so happy to be at school and happy to participate. That spark has really never faded.

By 3rd, he had negotiated for himself a year subject acceleration in math, which quickly became 2 years and now 3 years. I don't know how he does it, but he manages to get what he needs, enjoys being with his class (even the "thugs"), and is never bored. None of the things you worry about have ever happened.

The psych who tested him said he had never seen an HG+ kid this happy in public school, so perhaps our story is rare, but I don't think it's unique. I think a lot of our luck comes from the fact that DS is an extreme extrovert, socially gifted, and confident. He arrived that way--I don't take much credit.

My point is not to brag about my son (even though I like to get to do that), but to use him to demonstrate the huge role personality played in our decision to not skip him.

Your son sounds lovely, brag away!!!!!!

Incog

J
    Jamie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    acs - Your experience is definitely encouraging! Your ds sounds like a remarkable child.

He reminds me of my older dd when she was in K. However, things began to sour for her in 1st.

I agree that much has to do with personality and also with getting the right teacher. The wrong teacher can squelch even the most enthusiastic of kids which is what we saw happening to our oldest until we intervened.

There seem to be no easy answers. It is good to know that there are those who have had positive outcomes on both sides of the situation.

Jamie

acs Offline
    Yes, good teachers have played a huge role in our success. Except for first grade, when the teacher was "just" good (and overwhelmed with NCLB requirements), we have had wonderful teachers all the way through and the principal has always been supportive of whatever the teachers felt they needed to do to keep DS engaged (including excempting him from "required" reading curriculum!). Sometimes I go through a chicken and egg argument with myself: is DS so happy because he has had supportive teachers? or are DS's teachers so supportive because he is so easy to like?. By this time, it's clearly both things working together. But which came first?

I have brothers who were more introverted and sullen. They did not "click" with their teachers (even some of the good ones that I got along with well), probably because of their temperment. School was harder for them. Although you can teach them some useful social skills, I don't think you can fundamentally change their temperment.

I think first grade is a particularly tough year for these HG+ kids. I hear it often from the personal experience of people on this and similar forums, saw it with my own DS, and have read that it is so in various books and websites. First grade is a sea-change, I think, and it tends to show the problems with trying to fit our kids into an educational system that isn't made for them.

The teachers make all the difference! If I had DS6's first grade year to do over again, I'd have moved heaven and earth to get him into a classroom with a good teacher for first grade. As it was, I didn't know the one we got wasn't good. I didn't ask the right questions of other parents and of administrators. (Heck, I didn't even ask what his test scores were! Duh!) I went with the flow. If I knew then what I know now...

I'd make waves! Big, gigantic crashing waves!!!

Kriston
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM