Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Kate Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS7 in now in his 3rd week at his new school for the gifted.

After years of OT and minimal improvement in his handwriting, his handwriting is now so good that it is unrecognizable! He brought home a spelling test and I almost put it right back in the folder as belonging to someone else!

He has bitten his fingernails since he started K and it has continued for 2 years. Now in his new class, I have had to trim his nails with clippers due to them growing because he is not biting them!

My theory is that he is not bored or anxious, not rushing to get through work that is too easy. Does anyone else think this is cool??? I'm convinced that it is due to an appropriate placement and an awesome teacher! Nan

C
    C
    I think that's fantastically cool! Do tell his teacher if you get a chance, in case she doesn't realise how dramatic the change in him is. And long may it continue!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    D
    D
    Beyond cool. You did well as his advocate, Nan!

Ours is also doing MUCH better behaving at school this year with a superbly understanding teacher and more appropriate work. He is delighted, and I am over the moon.

DeeDee

Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    I think that's fantastically cool! Do tell his teacher if you get a chance, in case she doesn't realise how dramatic the change in him is. And long may it continue!

Me too! Me too! I also encourage a quick email share with the teacher - teachers recieve so little appreciation.

L&ML,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    What fantastic news. I got all excited about the handwriting in my son's planner today, but it turned out to be the teacher's. smile

Do tell the teacher; good news is always appreciated.

Kate Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We had back to school night last night and I told the teacher what a huge difference we have noticed in DS. She says DS thrives on her fast pace and everything he has produced so far has been "perfect." Yowza! We couldn't be more pleased! Thanks for the cheers everyone! Nan

C
    C
    We've had the same experience w/ dd9 this year. We planned to pull her to homeschool and told the school as much. The GT coordinator went way out of her way to make things work better for dd including subject accelerating her in math and offering to let her work on EPGY in school in lieu of the curriculum if that didn't work.

At this point, we've seen the following:

MAPS test scores, which have been wildly erratic (ranging from the 50s to the upper 80s to mid 90s depending on the subject) have both gone way up. Her reading MAPS was at the 57th percentile at the end of last year. They just retested and she's now at the 94th. Reading is not her strength.

Her social group has completely changed. She had been hanging out with kids who were a bit of struggling students some of whom resented dd being in accelerated literacy last year. She was rather lonely and lacked rapport with anyone. She has a totally different group of friends and seems much happier.

Her grammar and speech have improved dramatically. I had long felt that she was intentionally dumbing down to fit in. I came out of a shop w/ dd12 (just turned!) the other day and dh said to me, "[dd9] just said 'whereas' and used it in context!" Her vocabulary has twice come out on the WISC in the 99th+ so we assume that it is there, but it is nice to see her speech not being limited to words and patterns that she thinks look "normal."

I'm glad that a few of us are having the same experience smile!

K
    K
    Nan and Cricket, that's great news. So glad to hear that things are working!

I so love threads like this. Congrats to you both! But the selfish side of me also thinks congrats to all of us because your joy proves it's possible ... just gives me hope.

B
    B
    I also love posts like this - what an awesome story - it gives me hope that maybe one day we might might the right place for our DS!!! So glad to hear the positives!!! I am SO happy for you guys!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM