Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #84119 09/01/10 05:21 PM
    OP Offline
    The kids brought home the school handbook today. For the first time EVER there are two sentences - yes two whole sentences that state "Acceleration of a student shall be permitted only when it can be demonstrated that the student has already mastered a preponderance of the grade-level indicators scheduled to be learned in the grade being skipped. Acceleration shall be carried out only when intellectual, emotional, and social benefits to the student can be expected."

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting.....

B
    B
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I'd see pigs fly befoe I saw that in our HB.

B
    B
    befoe?! HAHA! Sorry, before

OP Offline
    Well I would have said the same thing before also. Note how subjective it is though with the emotional, social blah blah blah. But it still must be considered progress!

I wonder if they're terrified that they've opened the floodgates to all the parents who are dissatisfied with the level of challenge in their children's classes?! smile I like the official policy part, and think it absolutely should be available to any parent that asks about getting more challenge for their child, but I wonder about publishing it for all to see. (Of course, I guess there are a number of parents who don't want their kids to be "weird" like ours and so would never pursue acceleration! wink ) It would be nice, though, if they referenced that there were specific criteria that they could expand upon when asked. Hopefully they have specific criteria! Surely they do, right? Maybe that's just wishful thinking, though . . . .

She thought she could, so she did.
    A
    A
    Our handbook says:
    Proficiency Based Promotion awards credit for students� knowledge in the core curriculum areas, i.e., social studies, language arts, reading, mathematics, and science through an assessment process. All students in Grades 1- 5 are eligible for Proficiency Based Promotion if they perform at the 90% level on designated assessments.
    Elementary students may advance on one or more levels in core curriculum areas. Elementary students demonstrating proficiency will be given credit for their learning and will be given the opportunity to advance to the next level of study in the appropriate curriculum area. Students must progress through a curriculum area in a sequential manner.
    The assessment covers an extensive amount of material in a comprehensive manner. Our experience has been that students who have outstanding knowledge and superior academic performance are those who may be successful in completing the assessment process at the 90% level.
    Students who take the test but do not demonstrate proficiency will be allowed to try again during the next assessment period. Guidelines, application procedures and forms are available at each school and in the Instructional Services Office. Deadlines to apply for testing are April 1 and July 15 for students currently enrolled and two weeks prior to the first day of school for students new to our school system.

Which is pretty much verbatim what state law says. (This particular handbook says 1-5, because it's the elementary handbook. It's really 1st-12th grade.) Most people don't realize that "opportunity to advance" means subject acceleration / grade skip.

Last edited by AlexsMom; 09/01/10 05:57 PM. Reason: fix formatting
    Wow AlexsMom! I do like the specificity of that!

She thought she could, so she did.
    OP Offline
    Yes, and I like the apparent option of subject acceleration. I can't imagine what possessed the principal to include that. I actually sit on the school council and one of our tasks this year was to revamp the handbook. That particular tidbit was never discussed at any of the meetings I attended and I attended them all.

D
    D
    We got our handbooks last week. It's a professionally printed & bound, 150 page book containing:
    - 45 pages of discussing what actions will get you suspended or expelled,
    - 5 pages about special ed services,
    - 3 pages about how swell the district is because it's tobacco & drug free,
    - 2 pages providing a detailed look at the "homeless student" program...
    ...but not one mention of gifted ed, grade skipping or subject acceleration.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    OP Offline

Keep your chin up Dandy. That was our handbook for the past 12 years. Or as some say maybe they have a policy but do not wish to print it for fear of a stampede.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM