Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I can't go into the details right now, but I need to give DS an online assessment for grade level today! I have him set up to do the CTY one, but worry that it has a higher standard and will suggest a lower grade because it is for gifted kids. Would I be better to give him the Aleks one (my worry with Aleks is that it won't carry enough weight with the school).

Does CTY match up to state curriculum standards, or is it "accelerated" within each grade (so that CTY's 4th grade would be 5th or 6th in a regular school).

Thanks. I'll post the full story when I have the energy/time.

Cat

C
    C
    Would they accept Let's Go Learn http://www.letsgolearn.com/lglsite/DOMA/

This is the assessment our school psychologist used with DS when trying to demonstrate that he was more than one grade level above for his grade skip.

C
    C
    Do you need an assessment for all subjects or just reading/math?

OP Offline
    sorry, I was so distracted I didn't say - math only. Cat

G
    G
    We ultimately chose EPGY over ALEKS, but I would recommend using the ALEKS test if you're in a big hurry. I was shocked to see that the assessment was dead-on with where I thought my son was when he took it a few weeks ago. (His certified teacher took a look at it and completely agreed.)

His district also uses a performance test through Scantron.com, but I'm not sure if individuals can sign up to use it. For the Math, they plugged in the grade level you're testing for, and it keeps progressively getting harder (above that grade level) or drops back, depending on the student's answers. Afterwards, it gives a detailed report of where the child is in terms of standards mastery for each subject, district and national place rankings, things to work on (if any), etc.

Last edited by gratefulmom; 08/31/10 07:09 AM.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    OP Offline
    thanks these are all helpful. DOMA looks very useful,and the school would like all of the reporting features I suspect.

A
    A
    If the CTY assessment is EPGY, EPGY is intended to match California curriculum standards. IMHO, it's not a particularly good match for my state's standards, but your mileage may vary. It's not intended to be accelerated, but if there's a mismatch in standards, you might find that it's accelerated in some areas (but possibly behind in others).

C
    C
    ALEKS has the ability to report against many different states' standards, which might be useful - what I'm not sure about is whether it works to do the initial assessment for several different grades on the free trial. If not, you might have to guess right first time, for that!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    ALEKS has the ability to report against many different states' standards, which might be useful - what I'm not sure about is whether it works to do the initial assessment for several different grades on the free trial.
    You can reset grade levels at any time, even in the trial. Or, to get the Initial Assessment again, just sign up for a new free trial.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    OP Offline
    Thanks to everyone for all of this very helpful information. I'll post within the next few days about why this was necessary, but I very much appreciate the many useful replies.

Cat

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM