Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 323 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Min Offline
    I'm so glad you asked this.

My older sons have been identified as gt. I also have a tot, who aside from really great perception skills and ability to follow directions, does not show any of the signs her brothers did. I'm not worried *at all* about her development, but I do wonder. I'm slightly excited by the possibility that she might be *just bright* and fit in well at school. Time will tell... but I've never been very good with suspense. (I say this as I turn to go back to finish the mystery novel I have here. Not that there are going to be surprises - I scanned the last few chapters right after I read the first few - as usual.)

T
    T
    Cool questions. I bet our four year old DDs might like to hang out and discuss these things. My DD4 did read early and various other "unusual" things that made people raise eyebrows but we don't know how gifted she is right now (or even if she is gifted) so I have no real point of comparison but to tell you that she appears to be gifted and asks similar questions.

K
    K
    My DD10 asked deep questions early. Religion seemed to be a particularly dicey topic. I don't want to offend anyone with specifics but, at age 2, she cut through some of my religious mythology and made me reevaluate some things I took for granted.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the early reading. DD10 did show a lot of mathematical aptitude early. She did not read early -- she started when she was five. In fact just the other day she asked me when she started reading. I guess her gifted class conducted a survey and she was one of the latest kids. I asked her if she felt like she read at the same level as these kids now. She replied, "Oh no, Mom, most of them probably are behind me now."

OP Offline
    What a difference a few days make! Thanks everyone for your stories; it does a soul good to identify with y'all.

DD4 will start her second year of a play-based preschool next week (a lab school at our local University). She calls it "Pretty School," so now, of course, the whole family calls preschool "Pretty School." She recently asked if all the kids will miss their moms and their dead grandparents while they are at pretty school, and if the dead grandparents visit the grandchildren in their dreams. She's very matter-of-fact in some of her word choices, gotta love it smile

OliEli's Mom
    Originally Posted by OliEli's Mom
    She calls it "Pretty School,"

So funny! My DD also called it Pretty School!! In fact, she still calls it that when she talks about it. And, of course, we all called it Pretty School, too.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    I
    I
    This thread is fun to read because it makes me think of my younger dd (age 4) about whom I seldom post. I have no idea if she'll be gifted, or at what level. In terms of reading, she is just starting to sound out words. This is something my older dd could do at age two. She only does basic math, using her fingers. But her pre-school teacher described her as, "The most socially gifted child she's ever had." And, like many of your children, she, too, asks very interesting questions.

Sometimes it's very practical things like, "Where does the gasoline go after you put it in the car?" Sometimes it's more complicated, like asking me, "But *why* do you love Daddy?"

She also enjoys talking about the death of a great-grandmother she probably can't even remember.

She'll pop out with some comment like, "I know someone in heaven."

And I'll say, "Who?"

And she'll reply, "You know, that girl who loved Pa-Pa (her great-grandfather)." So sweet...

OP Offline
    I want to meet all of these deeply, adorably questioning preschoolers! smile

OliEli's Mom
    I
    I
    I thought of this thread this morning when my younger dd (age 4), who is starting to get a cold, turned to me and said, "Mommy, when you lose your voice, where does it go?"

I'd love to hear other questions when they pop up in your homes!

OP Offline
    DD4 came into the kitchen while DD10 was doing homework, and suddenly hit DD10's hand, stopping her from writing. She then apologized, saying "sorry sissy, my hand got off its leash."

OliEli's Mom
    Originally Posted by OliEli's Mom
    "sorry sissy, my hand got off its leash."
    So cute!!! and so apt. tears in eyecorners on this one - thanks for sharing!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM