Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22
    Kate #83824 08/28/10 08:53 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by NanRos
    So, I have finally got a shiny sink! Both the kitchen and one bathroom sink are shiny. It is very nice and I feel ready to move on. ...I guess I am sort of taking a detour...but now that I have the correct materials for the job, I'm doing it! Somehow, this is fun when it used to be an unthinkably difficult chore. I guess it proves the power of positive thought! Nan

Don't deny yourself Nan - why shouldn't you have your desire? Who is to say that tackling a big job is less fun than a great work out at the gym? I believe that it's the nature of humans to enjoy solving problems - all kinds of problems. It's only the years of sexism that make household problems seem less 'important' than other kinds of challenges.

Yippee!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Just had to let you know that yesterday was a crazy day and I didn't get the chance to get my sink cleaned and dishwasher loaded before I crashed for the night. I had some (good) "guilt" about not having a clean sink overnight. I was able to catch up this morning (Thank you, Saturday) and have a shiny sink again.

All of this actually makes me feel great- I think I'm making this a habit!! smile

Now, on to the dreaded hot spots.

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by sittin pretty
    All of this actually makes me feel great- I think I'm making this a habit!! smile

Now, on to the dreaded hot spots.
    Yippee!
    I was out of the house for my favorite yoga class by 9am, I did do 5 minutes of Internet 'whatever'-ing before I was dressed to shoes, so I was definitely not perfect, but I'm happy that the voices in my head are saying: "You know, 5 minutes is a lot less than you usually do on a Saturday AM, so that's progress!"

Progress NOT perfection.

I know I am only supposed to do 2 minutes of hot spot prevention, but the house is really quiet, I've had my walk with BFF, DH is totally occupied with home maintenance, so I cranked up some catch up episodes of Glee on the TV and brought all of my paperwork onto my pretty smooth bed and have been decluttering my paper stash.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

#83838 08/28/10 03:39 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Also feeling good about the number of fun things I've packed in with the kids the last two days. smile
    Yippee!
    Good and Pretty Good are wonderful.
    I think you can bring the burned out CFL to where you bought them or Home Depot. I thought that they weren't supposed to burn out eek Maybe your town dump?

Our kitchen Island is one of the key hotspots at our house too - but by getting to it a couple times a week I stay '15 minutes from company ready' without a lot of effort. My car, OTOH, is like a traveling hot spot. Oh well, progress not perfection.

Smiles,
    Grinity

I've been reading this post and even checked out the website, but have been resisting, but it's like the songs you just cant get out of your head!!!! So I'm going to do it, the drawer of death!!! Cue scarry music. DS took over our office when born and we moved everything into our bedroom frown so went from filing cabinet to filing boxes and drawer where theoretically things went prior to being filed. I got motivated about 3 months ago by Suze Orman who alternatively annoys me and provides good advice - but what I ended up with was getting down to 1 drawer and a bag of junk to shred!!! But I am now reinspired to sort and create more stuff to shred. I am a fiend for organization, or at least I was before my DS, DH says I use to file in my spare time, sort of depressing but must be why I don't do it now!!! Although since I have posted multiple times during the day I clearly can't claim to have no spare time!!! laugh

DeHe

DeHe #83842 08/28/10 05:24 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    So I'm going to do it, the drawer of death!!! Cue scarry music.
    DeHe

No No Not the Drawer of Death!!! ((Humor Alert))
    I just hit the bottom of my 'sure don't know what to do with this pile.' - I got rid of lots of it, but ended up with another smaller and cuter 'don't know what to do with' pile. Uggg - I definitely overdid things today. But I did enjoy watching 2 episodes of 'Glee' and one of 'The Good Wife' - which actually may account for that 'ungrounded feeling.'

I guess this accounts for the reason that the last pile is always the hardest to take care of - if it were easy, I would have done it by now.

Actually I was a little bit encouraged that lots of the things in my 'impossible pile' were actually already handled. Now I'm putting things away. Flylady says to never take out more than 30 minutes worth of mess at a time - that's an easy one for me to follow!

DeHe, Have you tired David Allen's "Getting Things Done?" I've been trying that in fits and starts.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

My plan is to try meditating on the way to the restaurant for dinner.

B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    To everyone trying this out:

Good luck with your efforts! At Grinity's advice, I went to the FlyLady site a few years ago and used FlyLady routines for kids to get my hopelessly disorganized older son ready in the morning. It really worked! I've had some success with de-cluttering using her techniques.

Grinity, thanks for inspiring us. You are such a great resource!

bk1

I feel so out of synch already!

I was DTS, and DH shined my sink, I suppose I did a hotspot (my desk) but it's buried again already. Desk is a tricky one because it's literally in the middle of the house and way to easy to dump things.

I haven't tried writing down my head tapes. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    I feel so out of synch already!
    Oh GeoMamma - What's making you feel out of synch?
    How is the 'writing down the internal voices' going?

If you did 2 minutes of hotspot fire drill, that is a wondeful start - and no, the results might not be apparent immediately. ((pout)) I love immediate results - but, with my house, I was spending so much energy trying not to see what I had done, that it was quite a lot of 'i'll try but this doesn't feel good at all' in the beginning - first I had to feel worse by noticing all that stuff I was working so hard not to notice.

But I do believe that even in the stage where we feel worse that we have more energy because we don't have to work at ignoring. I know that while I was ignoring I didn't think of it as work, but once I stopped, I saw that for me, ignoring is work, and it used to tire me out so I wouldn't have the energy to fix the problem. KWIM?

Anyway, i hope this yucks pass quickly. I'll never forget the day that I looked into a closet and was taken totally by surprise that it wasn't a 'falling on my head' mess. I asked DH and DS if they had cleaned it. I check for broken windows - maybe a kind hearted robber had broken in a cleaned it. A few days later I remember that it was ME. I had taken a spare 15 minutes and boggied that closet. I still smile when I get my coat out of that closet - it's lovely and I deserve to live with lovely spaces. Who Knew?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So tonight we lay out our clothes for tomorrow.

I knew that I didn't want to face what was already in my closet for that task, so I spent an hour at the mall shopping for 'day wear.'

I was very tired afterwards, but I brought it home, then relaxed. Then I went through my cubbies and got rid of stuff that I know I'm not going to wear, for about 30 minutes. Nice thing about not having a lot of clothing clutter, is that it doesn't take that long to try everything on that I haven't worn in the last week.

I do have a bunch of 'dress up clothing' that is much less decluttered, but that is all segregated from my normal wardrobe options.

I feel confident that laying out my 'tomorrow clothing' won't cause any tears later tonight!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students