Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (mithawk), 332 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    W
    W
    I am not sure the US is the place to look for opportunities. If I was a student now, I would look to China or South America. Now that the economy (watching CNBC now) is really hitting the rocks and heading for a decade of problems, job growth should be negative. The government has to cut back (where most growth has come from) and company CEOs are being interviewed and saying they are thinking of cutting back or maintaining. Except CISCO, Raddy you should contact CISCO in the UK. They were hiring 5000. Though the CEO did say their clients were not positive.

But the good news, is that a highly gifted kid can usually do well trading. And in the history of the world, there is always a market. I am planning to teach DD(almost 6)how to trade in a few years so that she can support any passion. There is always a market in something. And you can make money up or down.

It does require a certain personality, but that is another story.

Otherwise, I hope that she has options with all the crap and overscheduling I provide for her.

Ren

Here is another perspective on this. He makes billion dollar decisions. I make millions of dollars decisions. But they are the same decisions.

Read the whole thing.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20014563-38.html?tag=mncol;1n

Take factories. "I can tell you definitively that it costs $1 billion more per factory for me to build, equip, and operate a semiconductor manufacturing facility in the United States," Otellini said.

The rub: Ninety percent of that additional cost of a $4 billion factory is not labor but the cost to comply with taxes and regulations that other nations don't impose. (Cypress Semiconductor CEO T.J. Rodgers elaborated on this in an interview with CNET, saying the problem is not higher U.S. wages but anti-business laws: "The killer factor in California for a manufacturer to create, say, a thousand blue-collar jobs is a hostile government that doesn't want you there and demonstrates it in thousands of ways.")

"If our tax rate approached that of the rest of the world, corporations would have an incentive to invest here," Otellini said. But instead, it's the second highest in the industrialized world, making the United States a less attractive place to invest--and create jobs--than places in Europe and Asia that are "clamoring" for Intel's business.

Raddy,

I would look at doing an open source project.

Have you heard of Asterisk?

Google it. Right now it and many other open source apps lack good database back ends and corresponding GUIs.

Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    the guy who comes to fix my dishwasher gets paid $100 for working one hour.

I'll caution you not to conflate that with "the person who works at the office gets paid $Y for working one hour."

If your dishwasher guy is self-employed, he pays for wear and tear on his vehicle, licensing, continuing education, supplies and tools, advertising, insurance, employer-borne payroll taxes, and other "overhead" out of that $100 - and got paid nothing for the time it took to drive to and from your house. If he's someone else's employee, he doesn't have the overhead, but also didn't get paid anything like $100, even if that's what you paid to his employer. Rule of thumb in the service industry I'm most familiar with is that the employee's gross wage is 1/3 of their hourly billing rate, so a tech billed at $100 an hour might have a wage of $30 an hour (or $60k a year).

Spending money on an expensive hobby is more an issue of limiting outgo in other areas than it is in having significant income.

True - but $60K/year is much better than being a BS-holding unemployed college graduate with student loan debt!

And one of the subcontractors for my house was complaining about how much work he has when he'd really rather just be fishing.

Actually the dishwasher guy got $35 for the service call for just showing up.

Other jobs aren't fairing so well. I just moved. It cost $1500 to move me 2miles. I have a 1000sq.ft house. One of the movers said just a couple of years ago, that same job would cost $2500 but there is a glutton of movers now and he has to keep dropping his prices to be competitive.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 08/25/10 06:32 PM.
    R
    Raddy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Austin
    I'll try that - thanks

I think for me the message is that we need education - but educating our people with usable/sellable skills (even IT ones), maybe keeping them local too. Being paid cash is a good thing too, especially for those wary of paying taxes smile

W
    W
    I am copying what I posted under IQ tests because I think the point is relevant in both.

I just heard something interesting, as the US struggles to be competitive going forward and create jobs.

There is an annual super computing conference in San Francisco every year. It was started by some of the biggest names and brightest minds in computing 21 years ago. And most of those were American males who are around 60 now.

The younger members are now mostly from China, India. I was told by one of the founding members that there wasn't one woman from America. The few women were from China, mostly, India, Japan and a couple from Scandinavia.

He said that the original members realized that the brain trust in America is dissapearing and moving to China.

Ren

My brother went to that in San Francisco. He was all hyped up about it. I was all like, "yeah, enjoy your super nerdfest". Oh I'm awful. Ha Ha. I know he was happy about going. I guess you're right though because he's going out of his way to skyppe with people in other languages because he thinks he needs Japanese for a lifetime career in videogame design.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM