Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22
    NJMom #83619 08/26/10 09:08 AM
    Originally Posted by NJMom
    Mudroom bench "scoured."

Been doing the one load of laundry per day (though I haven't gotten today's load in yet).

Hooray for a shined bench!

I emptied my sink, but did not shine it. frown
    Biked DD to school. (and faster than I have before, yay!)
    Laundry... I folded some last night, but I couldn't/didn't start any this morning.

I'm thinking about getting/making a magnet that communicates the status of laundry to my family. Multiple trips to the basement because we don't have an empty laundry basket, etc. are wasting time and making us less likely to deal with it on a regular basis.

Anyone already have a system that works?

NJMom #83621 08/26/10 09:18 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Mudroom bench "scoured."
    Yippee!!!!

I suppose we could do what my 5-year-old does at school and have "indoor" shoes and "outdoor" shoes, although I have the feeling that the indoor shoes might not be professional-looking enough to provide that same feeling. What adjustments have any of you made to the shoe rule?

I think it depends on the person. If you are a 'get back in bed' sort, then the laces help. I like the laces because I'm large and love the support. I literally have more energy and less resentment for 'all the stuff that I have to do around the house' when my body doesn't ache. And I have enough Overexcitable-ness that mild aches other people would ignore feel like a big deal to me. When DS was younger, I liked the idea of 'shoes I can run in if I need to' as a just in case.

I'm wondering what your 'indoor shoes' are? My thought is that if that 'professional feeling' is giving you a lift, then don't skimp - clean off a pair of nice 'outdoor' shoes and promote them to your 'indoor' go to shoes. I take parenting very seriously and maybe we'd all be better off wearing 3-piece suits when we are around our young ones, or out in the world in our 'Mommy Role.'

I've been terrified that this was going to be too hard, so I'm glad we got 2 'easy days' - but now I'm feeling impatient for more. LOL@me!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    inky #83622 08/26/10 09:19 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by inky
    It also protects my feet while cooking if I drop a knife and saves my back from aching after standing on hard tile.
    Go Inky! I love your wisdom.

Kate #83625 08/26/10 09:27 AM
    Originally Posted by NanRos
    I'll admit that I could really, REALLY use this, but I may never make it to Day 2. The sink is going to do me in!

We have hard water, and hard water buildup around the faucets. Elbow grease is not going to get rid of it. If and when I actually get my shiny sink, I'm going to have to hire a plumber as well, because the faucets leak around the bottom, so the hard water buildup is going to keep coming back.

frown

This is my problem, too! I was going to report that I am a failure and stuck at day 1...glad to hear someone else has a hard water problem. I don't even own SOS pads, and I don't know what instrument to use to get the rock hard build up off from edges. I'm still trying though. The sink part looks great, but the faucet edges are still yuck. I guess I will stick with day 1 til I get it!

White vinegar is your best friend for hard water build up! Squirt it on and let soak while cleaning the counter tops or scrubbing the sink. Wipe & repeat until you get it all off. After that, a weekly squirt & wipe will keep it from building up. If you use the white vinegar to daily shine your sink, then it will keep the faucets sparkling. It's also great for cleaning glass.

Edited to add: white vinegar is great for all kinds of science experiments. Make Entice the kids into experimenting with dissolving calcium buildup on the sink with the vinegar!

Last edited by OHGrandma; 08/26/10 09:33 AM.
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Maryann1
    Biked DD to school. (and faster than I have before, yay!)

Awesome! Great loving movement and so good for the Earth, and your DD to see mommy move.

Laundry... I folded some last night, but I couldn't/didn't start any this morning.

I'm not sure which day we start looking into our Laundry Issues, but here's the link to Flylady's ideas:

Remember we are starting slow and getting our old habits in place before zooming ahead to the land of 'crash and burn.'

Oh my - laundry isn't mentioned until day 20! I think Flylady wants us to have a few more successes under our belts before we are asked to change our laundry habits. But I know that for some of us, laundry is a big, big deal. Let me know what you figure out!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Thanks for the advice on vinegar. I read that on some other sites also. This will show what a bad home-keeper I really am: I do not have vinegar. I'm taking my lunch break to get SOS pads and vinegar! I plan to have DS7 use the vinegar as a science experiment; he will LOVE it and it will make it more fun for me!

Progress to report despite the above obstacles: just having the sink shined and announcing it to DS and DH has kept dishes from sitting in the sink...they go straight into the dishwasher. Hooray! It's working already smile Nan

Kate #83632 08/26/10 10:08 AM
    Thanks for the advice on vinegar. I read that on some other sites also. This will show what a bad home-keeper I really am: I do not have vinegar. I'm taking my lunch break to get SOS pads and vinegar! I plan to have DS7 use the vinegar as a science experiment; he will LOVE it and it will make it more fun for me!

Progress to report despite the above obstacles: just having the sink shined and announcing it to DS and DH has kept dishes from sitting in the sink...they go straight into the dishwasher. Hooray! It's working already smile Nan

SOS pads might scratch your fixtures if they are chrome. Try the vinegar alone, and you can use a wooden object(spoon, whatever) to help loosen the calcium without scratching the chrome.

Kate #83641 08/26/10 10:56 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I plan to have DS7 use the vinegar as a science experiment; he will LOVE it and it will make it more fun for me!
    this shows what a teriffic mom you are.
    If you find a link to 'why' this works, I'd love to view it.

I'm so glad to hear this. Yippee! I can be hard to remember to share with DS and DH how much this delights you, so I'm reminding. It's ok to praise them for this behavior EVEN if you feel like they could have been doing this a long time ago, and WHY did they have to wait for you to shine the sink, etc.

Giggles,
    Grinity

Thanks OHG, the SOS pads are for the stainless steel part...I will try to be careful with the chrome!

And Grinity thanks for reminding me to praise the boys (because yes they SHOULD have been doing this all along).\\

hee hee smile

Kate #83649 08/26/10 11:39 AM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    hee hee smile
    Thanks for the Thanks - I was really sure that I was being too much of a nag there! But that is how I would have reacted, so I took a chance!

Thanks also OHG - I have some nasty buildup on the shower edgings that I've learned to 'not see.' Perhaps I will give it a try! We got a water softener, so if I can get the old stuff off, I have a chance it will stay off.

Go Me! Go Us!

Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM