Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #83392 08/24/10 10:36 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Anyone with any firsthand experience in the Fairfax/Loudon County area of Virginia? We MAY be considering a move there in the next year or so -- someplace with a fairly easy commute to an office near Dulles. I've heard some good things about Fairfax County schools (with one HS I think being the top from the National Merit Scholars list), but I'd love to hear any firsthand experience. We're used to a very small school, so the idea of public scares me a bit, but maybe it would be an improvement.

PMs are welcome, too! Thanks!

J
    J
    One of my very best friends is from there. She has no children and has been out of school for over 20 years, so I'm not sure there's much help there.

I will tell you though, if you do look in the area, which is a GREAT area (she was in Leesburg), make sure to check out the commute. Traffic is not your best friend if going to Dulles. smile

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks, JJsMom! We're somewhat familiar with the greater DC area and the commute. It's a big concern for us as well as the schools. I am hoping to find info from kindred spirits about the schools in that specific area so we can narrow our search area.

Last edited by Mama22Gs; 08/24/10 12:49 PM. Reason: so it makes sense...
    B
    B
    We live in Fairfax County.

My older DD is in the AAP program here.

Mom to DD9 and DD3
    V
    V
    Hi, I'm new here, but grew up going to school in Fairfax and Loudoun county schools. I hope you all settled on an area. My experiences were great there. It has been a long time ago, but there are tons of high achieving kids there. I just saw that the D.C. area has the highest level of Bachelor degrees and their kids' will follow in many of their parent's footsteps. Good luck. If you decide on a school, let us know.

Hi, you should check out prince william county too, in case that is not on your radar; in my experience they are amazingly up-to-date in their ideas about giftedness. Fairfax seems a bit rigid in the type of kids they take into their programs, though they are considered to have good resources for those who qualify. I do not have personal experience with Fairfax, just chat from other parents.

Montgomery co. in Md. is a primary 'competitor' with Fairfax county, so might be worth a look too.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations