Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Artana
    I want to jump in but am hesitant. I tried it once before and found myself giving up. Maybe having everyone else doing it will be fine? I also found that some steps don't really apply because, for instance, I work. So every morning I get up and have to get dressed and prep. Being possibly Aspie, getting stuck in a middle of the way step means I have to work really hard to ignore that step and go on to the next.

Artana,
    I hope that you can find a way to get what you need from this Experiment. I'm wondering if you can say in more detail exactly what's bothering you about each step. I had to send Flylady a lot of emails at first to get ideas about how to apply her ideas to my situation.

The 'Flycrew' is terrific about answering questions and offering official advice. We are all here for you too!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Kate #83510 08/25/10 12:24 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by NanRos
    Originally Posted by NJMom
    hard water buildup around the faucets.
    frown

This is my problem, too! I was going to report that I am a failure and stuck at day 1...glad to hear someone else has a hard water problem. I don't even own SOS pads, and I don't know what instrument to use to get the rock hard build up off from edges. I'm still trying though. The sink part looks great, but the faucet edges are still yuck. I guess I will stick with day 1 til I get it!

Yippee that your sink part looks great! Good for you. If you sneak ahead to day 2, you will get a nice suprise - it isn't that sink shining is an 'all or nothing' proposition. Making a small consistient effort on the sink is a daily thing - you get to add 'dressed to shoes.' The idea is to build routines up so slowly that it's never a 'big deal.'

Send the Flylady an email if the faucet gunk is bumming you out, ok? Then share what they said!

I got a tremendous amount out of following Flylady way back when, and I never, ever actually shined my sink until 2 nights ago. I used to just make sure that the dishes were done, and the little chunks of food were removed. I have nothing against waterdrops personally. But today and yesterday I got out the Windex and the kitchen towel and got rid of all the waterdrops. I'll never know if I like it enough to keep it up until I try it.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

smile Working on the sink, but I'm dressed to the shoes, and using my timer to get some bits done around the house. Yay!

And yay! for all of us!

#83546 08/25/10 05:51 PM
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by eema
    I tried Flylady a few years ago, and learned to pick and choose what worked for me.

I did have some problems with the site. Firstly, she said that if you keep the house clean, your family will be inspired as well to chip in. Not true in the least in my home.

Also, I found that some of the emails had a bit of a religious subtext that was off-putting. My personal opinion only.
    Hi Eemma! I love picking and choosing. I'm sorry your family didn't catch on. (Do you ever see tiny signs in your children?)

I do find the religious stuff something I have to 'breath through' but I'm also am so grateful for the education. Ambivalent was one of the first long words I taught DS14.

We had my in-laws over for a casual supper. They arrived right around the time I got home from work. It was nice not to have to worry about the house being a mess - that's a blessing.

Now the kitchen is 'boogied,' the sink is shined, I'm still in my lace-up shoes, and I visited the bigtent site and was part of the poll 'Is your sink shined?' Yes is ahead 51% to 49%. Progress not perfection!

Here's the link in case anyone wants to vote:

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    :)Yay!
    And yay! for all of us!
    Agreed!

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Good Morning!
    I'm 'dressed to shoes' and looking at

Day 4

"So far we are;

- Getting Dressed to lace up shoes
    - Keeping our sink shining
    - Going to Big Tent and reading messages

Your next thing is to write these things down on a sticky note and post them on your bathroom mirror and above your kitchen sink. This is the beginning of your Control Journal. The little notes help us to remember the habits we are trying to establish."

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Here's what my sticky says:
    PM: shine sink
    AM: Dog-Yoga-Shower-Dress (before internet)

Okay, sink shined, showered and dressed but forget the shoes today....too hot!

Way to keep us going Grinity!

N
    N
    Mudroom bench "scoured."

Been doing the one load of laundry per day (though I haven't gotten today's load in yet).

I'm curious about what modifications people have made to the shoes rule. I agree that being fully dressed does change your attitude, but I have a hard time with the idea of wearing shoes in the house. I suppose we could do what my 5-year-old does at school and have "indoor" shoes and "outdoor" shoes, although I have the feeling that the indoor shoes might not be professional-looking enough to provide that same feeling. What adjustments have any of you made to the shoe rule?

NJMom #83610 08/26/10 08:14 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by NJMom
    What adjustments have any of you made to the shoe rule?
    Crocs! I have indoor crocs and outdoor crocs. This keeps outdoor dirt from getting tracked inside and I don't have to lace and unlace each time I go in and out. It also protects my feet while cooking if I drop a knife and saves my back from aching after standing on hard tile.

Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM