Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 345 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    G
    Austin, this is interesting. The three public high schools in our vicinity are all consistently ranked 1-2-3 in our tri-county area, and yet school #1 has only 2 semifinalists, school #2 has none, and school #3 has only 1. These aren't small high schools, either. I wonder what to take from that.... (And what are they doing right in San Jose and Troy???)

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    A
    A
    Congrats! It seems your son's private school is very progressive and flexible. It's a shame this isn't common practice in public and private schools.

Daa'iyah Na'im
    Director/Head of School
    The AGVI Academy for Gifted Youth
    http://AGVIgifted.org
    Originally Posted by gratefulmom
    Austin, this is interesting. The three public high schools in our vicinity are all consistently ranked 1-2-3 in our tri-county area, and yet school #1 has only 2 semifinalists, school #2 has none, and school #3 has only 1. These aren't small high schools, either. I wonder what to take from that.... (And what are they doing right in San Jose and Troy???)

Quite interesting, isn't it?

By Ruf definition, 1 out of 200, is a level 4, which is what NM semifinalists may be. To do well on the NM test, you need good preparation and a high level of smarts. From my recollection of the test, smart kids without a wide-ranging education, either deliberate or autodidactical, will be at a disadvantage.

To put this in human perspective, in my HS we only had 2 NM when I graduated. A lot of students were honorable mentions. All of these have PHDs as well as one of the NM kids. I am the only kid in my AP math class ( with 11 students ) who did not get a PHD or MD. Furthermore, many in my class with PHDs or MDs are directors or top level admins in their professions as well. Very successful people. Very hard workers. But not as wide ranging an intellectual curiosity from my recollection.

Looking at the data, I see three basic groupings.

First, demographic concentration. San Jose has a ton of very bright people and they will have bright kids and will manage their education. And demand excellent Public schools. Great work ethics round them out. With an open admission policy, these types of schools may be the best bet for most GT kids whose parents decide the move is worth it.

Second, just normal occurrence. One or two kids here or there. These schools have good programs and are worth a short move to ensure kids get the best that parents can live with given their situation.

Third, selective admission and excellent instruction. I see a few private and public schools with 10-30% of their class NMSF in a large metro area. Most of the so-called magnet schools don't have that many. There are just two schools with about 30% NMSF. One in NYC and one in Dallas. These schools are a long shot for most parents and kids, but they usually have very strong financial support and a strong community. And a great education is a virtual certainty.

Another interesting point is that with a few exceptions, most of the "elite" schools with selective admissions do not have many NMSF. One explanation is that they are not skillful at picking and then educating kids to the best of their abilities. Another is that the parents of the brighter kids may make wiser choices about resource allocation. Or, the school really markets to a different segment.

Last edited by Austin; 08/23/10 11:07 PM.
    K
    K
    Hi everyone , I usually don't post , just lurk. I have an exceptionally gifted DD 12 years old. She started to have difficulties getting herself to school in the 5th grade despite great grades. She was tested for Gate in the 3rd grade (not sure what that did for her)and was pulled out for an accelerated math class. Needless to say once 6th grade started at the local middle school I couldn't even get her go after the first 2 weeks.

To make a 2 private schools for the 1st semester and home schooling with a tutor for the 2nd semester. She is not someone who enjoys the solitude of homeschooling.

She is an extremely artistic and creative child who loves polymer clay and drawing. I was desperate for a solution that wouldn't cost me 25K a year or more. We applied for the Orange County High School of The Performing Arts, she auditioned for the Visual Arts conservatory and got in. So she started at the end of August and seems to love the school except for her Visual Arts teacher (Long Story) not very creative. She also is not very fond of the Pre-Algebra teacher and also has him for Science she says it sooooo boring. This school will not subject accelerate or skip grades. They will not work with you because so many kids want to go their school you are a dime a dozen.

We commute from Torrance to Orange County and Sierra gets terrible headaches from the hour drive up and back each day. She is starting to have the same tell tale signs of phantom headaches and stomach aches, hard to get her up in the morning 5:30 am, crying spells, etc. I wish there was a great school for exceptionally gifted kids in Los Angeles, or at least a great exceptionally gifted kids homeschool co-op that we could check out. Sierra would excel at a school that she could have like minded peers and the ability to accelerate the curriculum. She is highly sensitive and highly intuitive.

Until I had Sierra tested I had no idea that trying to find a suitable learning environment for my daughter would consume my days. When I ask her school if they accelerate all I hear is "we don't do that". What the hell does that mean??? They have 9th and 10th graders in my daughters 7th grade pre-algebra class but they won't put my daughter in a above level Algebra class because she needs to be with her peers. They have no idea who my daughters peers are. I have 12 year old with a 17 or 18 year old mind Per the WISC IV (Ceiling of 4 sub tests) and the WJ III ACH , 11.3 grade level, 16-9 Age Level, high school gradulate level and post graduate level on many of the subtests.

Sorry for the rant but I am getting desperate If anyone has any suggestions for the LA or Orange County area please advise.

Kimberly

CFK Offline
    Have you considered early college entrance programs?

http://www.calstatela.edu/academic/eep/index.php

K
    K
    Hi CFK,

Thanks for the reply, funny you should mention the EEP Program. We looked into that last year when all of this started. In fact I spoke at great length with a PEEP Parent of a former EEP graduate. To hear him talk about why his son entered the program was like hearing about my daughter. My DD at the time was 11 years old and the average age of entry is 13.5. My daughter felt as though she was too young to go to college ( Mind you she had just finished graduating from 6th grade elementary school) she had visions of herself sitting with adults in a classroom. She also had never taken an out of grade level test such as the SAT or ACT. So we decided to try to find another option at the time.

Well as you can see from my earlier post those other options do not seem to be panning out. Since your post I have again spoken to her regarding the option of EEP and had her look at some articles and you tube clips of the actual EEP students on campus talking about the program. I think her mind is changing about it and she is considering it an option now.

I had already signed her up to take the SAT through CTY Talent Search in December this year. I think that will be a great opportunity for her to take a test of that magnitude and she how she fares. I think it will tell a great deal more about her academic performance. Taking the WJ III ACH was one thing but I think a great score on the SAT's will give her that boost of confidence that she has the ability to get into the EEP Program. If all goes well on the SAT in December I will sign her up for the test given through the EEP Program in April of 2011 for the next school year. She will have to stick out the remainder of this school year. I feel like this is becoming a full time job.

Kimberly

CFK Offline
    Sounds promising! I hope it works out for her. It looks like a good program, one which I think we definitely would have taken advantage if we were in the area. Hopefully the thought of things to come will keep your daughter going for the rest of this year.

Last edited by CFK; 10/04/10 06:18 PM.
    K
    K
    CFK

My fingers are crossed!!!

Kimberly

Good luck with the EEP.

K
    K
    Thank you Austin,

EEP program tests 2 times per year Dec and April on the ACT to qualify students for the program. Right now I am encouraging Sierra to take the test. She sometimes has "Imposter Syndrome" (not believing in her own abilities). Since she got into Orange County High School of the Arts and spends 8 hours of her day in most classes that she finds uninspiring and boring ( she reads books during at least half the class) and still gets B's and A's) She is starting to realize that she maybe the EPP program is where she wants to be. I am confident that Sierra would excel in the program. She is depressed and despondent over her school situation right now. I hope we can make this happen.

Kimberly

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM