Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 366 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32
    N
    N
    Well, ds7 started 2nd grade on Monday - and my reluctant reader (he can read very well, just chose not to read anything for most of the summer) - informed me that he was already on the 12th chapter of his book (he had taken in a pile of books I just bought). I asked him when he had time to read it - and he said that he read after he had finished his work and the others were still working. He also came home, picked up a book that had been laying around all summer, and read all through snack time at my daycare. I think going back to school has turned on his "oh, it IS fun to read" switch smile
    I discovered a new source of cheap books - our local "Once Upon a Child" has tons of chapter books of all kinds for about $1 each !

J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    that's great news NCPMom!

M
    M
    That's great news! We have a friends of the library bookstore here where we can get just about anything for 50 cents. Cheap books are the best things, aren't they?

By the way, another set of cheap, really good books are by Thornton Burgess. They're so old that they are in the public domain, but they still hold up really well. I've found the books are perfect for DS6, who's farther along academically but is still emotionally his own age. You can get them on Amazon for $2/$3 in book form. Or you can find them online and print them up for free and staple them in book form.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by jba8280
    Originally Posted by Maryann1
    Our district has a Director of Gifted Services and a Director of Student Services. You may want to check there.
    I talked to the director of gifted services and other than offering enrichment an hour a week there's nothing she can do. She said they don't deal with grade skips or anything like that. I think they just focus on enrichment.

So sorry it's been so hard. That response really sounds like a cop-out to me. It's times like these that we, as parents, ought to be able to create an IEP gifted plan.

Is there anyone with some clout who can help you navigate the system?

J
    J
    Originally Posted by NCPMom
    Well, ds7 started 2nd grade on Monday - and my reluctant reader (he can read very well, just chose not to read anything for most of the summer) - informed me that he was already on the 12th chapter of his book (he had taken in a pile of books I just bought). I asked him when he had time to read it - and he said that he read after he had finished his work and the others were still working. He also came home, picked up a book that had been laying around all summer, and read all through snack time at my daycare. I think going back to school has turned on his "oh, it IS fun to read" switch smile
    I discovered a new source of cheap books - our local "Once Upon a Child" has tons of chapter books of all kinds for about $1 each !
    That's so great to hear!

J
    J
    Originally Posted by mom2twoboys
    Originally Posted by jba8280
    Originally Posted by Maryann1
    Our district has a Director of Gifted Services and a Director of Student Services. You may want to check there.
    I talked to the director of gifted services and other than offering enrichment an hour a week there's nothing she can do. She said they don't deal with grade skips or anything like that. I think they just focus on enrichment.

So sorry it's been so hard. That response really sounds like a cop-out to me. It's times like these that we, as parents, ought to be able to create an IEP gifted plan.

Is there anyone with some clout who can help you navigate the system?
    I'm not sure. I'm still looking. I hope to at least meet with the director of gifted soon about enrichment and bring this up again. I'm sure I'll get the same answers but it'd be great to talk face to face.

I'm sorry you've gotten this crummy response. Does your state have a gifted services coordinator? I have found our state's director very helpful. She deals with all the state's programs and she knows the laws, so she always has good advice.

N
    N
    Just got this e-mail from ds7's 2nd grade teacher - ""Nathaniel will be bringing home his advanced list tonight. He is telling me the words are fine. But please if he is really struggling or you think they are too hard, please let me know :)"" - mmmm - I can't wait to see what the words are :):)

Oh, do share how the word list went!

We just got notice of who DS6's 2nd grade teacher will be. It seems it's a new teacher (at least new to our district), so I won't be able to get any info ahead of time. Probably for the best! Still waiting to set up a meeting with the new principal and the new gifted coordinator too. And just 2 weeks left of summer.

On a happy note, our sports-hating boy just had his first day of soccer camp, and he loved it! Yay!

N
    N
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Oh, do share how the word list went!

On a happy note, our sports-hating boy just had his first day of soccer camp, and he loved it! Yay!

Glad to hear soccer camp went well - my kid just can't get enough of the game !! smile The spelling list - well, I hate to get back to the teacher and tell her it's too easy, but.... "Grandma, Clifford, happened, splash, iguana, igloo, picture, kitten, travel, magnificent..". What to do ? He got them all right this morning when I went over them with him - he just got them yesterday.

Page 12 of 32 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 31 32

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM