Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    How/when were you diagnosed?

What is it like for you to have a diagnosis?

PM me if you would rather talk privately.

Cathy

Cathy, Have you looked at WrongPlanet and OASIS@MAAP websites yet? They have lots of info for adult Aspies. Nan

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes, I have. I was hoping to find somebody here. Thank you for the resources, though!

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I've seen a few adults with AS here recently, and wondered if you'd like to have a place where we couuld chat smile

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    I think that's a great idea, I suspect many parents of gifted/highly gifted/profoundly gifted kids may be somewhere on the spectrum and not even know it.

It sounds like most adults only find out they have it when their kids (usually boys) are diagnosed. We totally discounted the possibility for a long time because we didn't realize that the symptoms in girls can be so different from what you read in the mass media and their obsessions tend to be seen as typical or normal gifted behaviors (reading, animals etc). Fascinating stuff

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Have you read Tony Attwood's book, The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome? I think it's pretty good. I was a little concerned to read about the experiences of kids whose *parents* have AS. It makes me question my ability to be a good parent.

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Not yet, I'll see if they have it at the library. I am now reading "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults" very interesting (and scary).

On parenting: With what I know now, part of me thinks its a miracle that my parents did as well as they did with us (although we did go to boarding school). Looking back though, my mom intuitively did everything for us that she would have wanted for herself. Even though I grew up thinking she was a bit immature and sometimes downright loony, she really created an environment that we were able to thrive in without the control and conformity issues that seem to be a source of major problems for many. I always knew I had unconditional love and never felt I had to prove anything to anyone to earn that. YAY Mom! My dad, although brilliant, always seemed like a child to me, people were always taking advantage of him and I felt very protective in social situations, now I get why he was that way. He was great at his job though, so between the two of them it worked out alright.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations