Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    CFK Offline OP
    OP Offline
    About a 10 year old who accelerated and completed 8th grade at a private school and is being told by the public school system that he has to enroll in the 6th grade again in their district.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/tech...l+says+Ontario+system/3419735/story.html

J
    J
    UGH!!! I LOATHE that excuse (driving). And here in GA, they are considering bumping up the age from 16 to 18... so by the time DS6.5 (2nd grade) is 16, he probably won't be able to get a license at all, regardless of the grade he is in!

That makes my blood just BOIL!!! lol

C
    C
    Puberty seems to be one I'm hearing a lot lately, too. The kids will be traumatized when they are the last to get breasts, etc. Not everybody hits puberty at the same age even if you somehow managed to get everyone to be the exact same age in each grade.

I wonder if she could keep him home and do an online high school.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    DS is entering 8th grade and taking advanced 11th grade math, and still doesn't have breasts, blush .

I literally just busted out laughing!

I loved this comment from the article:

Whataloadofbunk 2:04 AM on August 20, 2010

And if you don't get through on the phone, please feel free to send her an email... or two...

Suggest that she do some research on gifted education before she stunts this boy's mind... and spirit.

sharon.pyke@gecdsb.on.ca

Here is our chance as an educated community to help. Please consider writing to Ms. Pyke and explaining why their decision is based on invalid data.

Why is the big emphasis put on 'social' issues rather than education??? The job of a school should be to educate children, not to facilitate their social lives.

I'm 34 and I don't have much in the way of breasts, either. I don't remember this being a section on my university applications.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    J
    J
    Wow...this is a lot of what we're dealing with now. Moved to a new school district and DS has been sent back at least 2 grade levels.

I feel so bad for these children. I don't understand why as adults we're allowed to socialize with people from all age ranges but as children we're expected to socialize only with those born within 12 months of us. It seems absurd. My 5 year old would much rather play with children 2 or so years older than those his own age, given the choice. Unfortunately in school he doesn't have that choice. Even at recess it's only those in his grade level. When children are held back a year you don't hear the administrators shouting about the damage that will do to their social lives.

J
    J
    Haha, oddly enough my college applications didn't have that section either.

And I completely agree. I keep hearing that DS needs to be with his age for "social" reasons. I thought that school was for learning but the way that some administrators make it sound that comes in a very distant second. I do agree that learning social skills is important but that isn't the primary reason to spend hours and hours each day in class.

Originally Posted by kathleen'smum
    Why is the big emphasis put on 'social' issues rather than education??? The job of a school should be to educate children, not to facilitate their social lives.

I'm 34 and I don't have much in the way of breasts, either. I don't remember this being a section on my university applications.

C
    C
    New advocacy idea: Don't give PG girls hormone free milk! Early breast development instead of Iowa Acceleration Scale as a measure of grade skip success!

Blame the snark on school advocacy meeting this afternoon.

Warning: sleep deprived
    C
    C
    Actually, in my dd11's case she's done much better socially with the kids who are 12-30 months older than her than she did pre-skip.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM