Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi WG -
    Your wish is my command ((wink))

It seems to me that above level tests could be used as an inexpensive "foot in the water" in place of IQ scores, which are expensive and distrusted by schools. Does anyone know of any research correlating kids with higher than 1SD scores compared to the agemates who took the above level test and HG or PG scores on IQ tests?

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    W
    There does need to be a better "screening" tool. The only thing that worries me about using something other than IQ tests is they won't necessarily help pick out the 2e kiddos.

Can't answer your question re: SD and HG or PG scores.

Willa Gayle
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The interesting part is that IQ tests claim that they weren't developed to differentiate amoung the highest IQ scores. Talent searches were.
    Curious, no?
    Trinity

W
    W
    given that schools are really more interested in finding needs at the other end of the scale, then it isn't surprising as schools are the customer the IQ test companies go after.

i gotta find a talent search for my youngins, who are gettin on my nerves tonight with their rivalry in high gear....grrrrrrr.

Willa Gayle
    W
    W
    JHU SCAT????

Willa Gayle
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    JHU - John Hopkins University's CTY, The are the local talent search for most of the NorthEast USA.

CTY - Center for Talented Youth

SCAT - an achievement or aptitiude test. When it's given Nationally to, say, 5th graders, it's an achievement test, but it's used by JHU for children 2 grades younger than the suggested group as an above-level aptitude test.

Hence my oft-repeated: "It's not that he knows as much as a 7th graders, it's that he's ready to learn what kids aren't usually ready to learn until 7th grade."

I may have some of the details wrong - so corrections please - most of the insight I got into above level tests is from reading the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual, which I think is one of the best "Gifted 201" books around, independent of one's feelings about grade skipping.

Smiles -
    Trinity

W
    W
    is there a way to take the SCAT if you don't live in the region where it's used for talent searches?

i'd love to have my boys take it.

Willa Gayle
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    WG
    If you don't have SCAT in your area, your talent search probably uses another similar above level ability test. Which region are you in?
    Trin

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Willa Gayle,

The Prometric testing centers are located all over the place (do you have a Sylvan Learning Center near you?). I still had to drive 3 hrs each way, but my boys were very appreciative and we made a day of it. http://www.prometric.com/Default.htm
    The way to "get" to test is through the talent searches. In order to get into a talent search to register for a test, your child either has to have IQ test data, tested high on standardized tests that schools give in the spring, or get a teacher's recommendation/portfolio. Once you meet that criteria and a small fee, you're given the opportunity to take "advanced level" tests. I don't think you can just register to take the test on your own. The SCAT is expensive (maybe $80) plus johns hopkins fee of maybe $25. The test is short (about 45 minutes or less). This is a good start for 2-6th grades. The EXPLORE test used by Duke TIP and Rocky Mt Talent Search is for 5th-6th graders, takes about 2.5 hrs, and costs $56 (plus talent search fee). After 6th grade, it's SAT/ACT, but going through the talent searches is a good idea because they give you a report showing how your kid did compared to the rest of the population. Very cool.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Here's info on correlating IQ to testing

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10120.aspx

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations