Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #82568 08/14/10 05:26 PM
    OP Offline
    Has anyone heard of this program for 5 & 6th graders, during the summer? The website is People to People GS11 just got an invitation to travel to England & France next summer in their ambassador program. I'm not sure how they got his name.

B
    B
    DD14 got that invitation for People to People for this summer (not the 5th and 6th grade program). I think it's overpriced for what it is, but I don't think it is a "scam" like some other similar programs are.
    Has he done a talent search? That is how they find kids like yours a lot of the time. I know that just today we got a letter offering a scholarship to a boarding school, and we get these nonstop. Most of them say something like "Because of your incredible score on the Duke TIP talent search", etc, but some don't.
    I think teachers can nominate for these programs as well, if he hasn't done a talent search.

OP Offline
    Hahaha, Dottie, that's what I was just thinking I would do, put it in his scrapbook! I don't know how much it costs, I'm guessing over 5 grand.

A
    A
    The website has costs, which vary based on origin, destination, and length of stay. $5k would get you 17 days in China, for instance. (I was an exchange student as a 16yo, and I don't know that I'd send my DD abroad as an 11yo in an exchange program that wasn't through her school, even for 2-3 weeks.)

My nephew did it, but he only travelled from Richmond to DC for a (long?) weekend so it was affordable, but not sure how valuable. He didn't come back thrilled about it...he DOES seem thrilled after working at soup kitchens with a youth group, though. Just for what it's worth, Nan

I
    I
    People to People is NOT in any way selective. I have a friend whose son was ranked dead last in a high school class of over 400 get "invited" last summer. He was accepted and went (and has now dropped out of high school entirely now that he is back from the trip). They pull invitation lists from ANYPLACE they can get a kids name. We just throw them out when they come.

Which I think is different from the boarding school letter with scholarship information included. Those really are from your talent search results, I think, and I do show those to D.

I am not saying your kid can't have a valuable experience with People to People programs, but they are quite expensive for what you get. I personally think there are lot more valuable summer programs in the US and abroad than this, especially for a gifted kid.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent