Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 232 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    I have been reading this board for awhile but never posted. My daughter is only 14 months so I really don't know if she is truly gifted (to me she is ) she is obsessed withbooks since six months. Said her first sentence this week (pee pee on the potty) was able to point and say her body parts by 10 months. I just rreally wanted to say thanks for making see she is normal smile I have a lot of friends with children same age and she is the only one that will sit and watch tv and ask u to read. She knows here name and were she lives a couple of colors and numbers. Thanks so much for being able to read all this helpfull info. I just wish I was home with her so I could do more.

Originally Posted by 10applesupontop
    I get so many stares from other people for explaining things to my little girl. It really makes me feel self-conscious, but she just sucks it all in. My favorite thing to do is tell her all about an exhibit, and then the next time we get to that exhibit she will say something like,

look mom, there is the red and black anemonefish. It is called that because it hides in the anemone. Oh, and up there is a blue surgeon fish. (We just got back from the aquarium. She actually said this about 2 hours ago.)

That makes me feel a little less silly.

Most people just think I'm crazy. wink We wear DD on our backs often because we use public transit quite a bit and there aren't any elevators/escalators for all those stairs. So many people see this lady with what looks like a backpack on walking down the street talking to herself and pointing out everything around her. laugh But if I don't DD freaks out, so what can you do?

Originally Posted by 10applesupontop
    But, I still get moments of panic thinking that I am failing her. I already feel bad for never teaching her to sign and not doing that Your baby can read program. (I am also worried about getting pregnant again. I am already feeling guilty.)

As far as the reading thing. Maybe I am being selfish. I must read her 50 books a day. How many times do you think I read 10 apples up on top a day? It would be nice to have her sit quietly in the corner reading away.

But, I will cont to take a real laid back approach to everything. It would be horrible to mess up what we got going for us now. She truly loves to learn. I don;t even think she knows she is learning.

It is so much fun.

I can really relate to the pregnancy thing. We've basically decided to wait until DD's older because there is just no way we could keep up with 2 of her! We definitely want more kids and I think DD would love a sibling but she just demands so much of our attention right now that unless we have a happy surprise it's just not going to happen right now.

Originally Posted by angelsmom0605
    I have been reading this board for awhile but never posted. My daughter is only 14 months so I really don't know if she is truly gifted (to me she is ) she is obsessed withbooks since six months. Said her first sentence this week (pee pee on the potty) was able to point and say her body parts by 10 months. I just rreally wanted to say thanks for making see she is normal smile I have a lot of friends with children same age and she is the only one that will sit and watch tv and ask u to read. She knows here name and were she lives a couple of colors and numbers. Thanks so much for being able to read all this helpfull info. I just wish I was home with her so I could do more.

Welcome to you too. laugh

J
    J
    Originally Posted by newmom21C
    I can really relate to the pregnancy thing. We've basically decided to wait until DD's older because there is just no way we could keep up with 2 of her! We definitely want more kids and I think DD would love a sibling but she just demands so much of our attention right now that unless we have a happy surprise it's just not going to happen right now.

My two are 22 months apart, and DS6.5 was the demanding one, but DD4.5 was so laid back that we were able to keep up with DS6.5's demands. wink wink wink

A
    A
    Thanks!

I get comments from people to i explain everything to her also. I just smile at them most of the time. One friends husband made comments that she is probably so smart from all the infertility medicine I took (we did ivf). I just bite my tounge and laugh.

Originally Posted by JJsMom
    Originally Posted by newmom21C

My two are 22 months apart, and DS6.5 was the demanding one, but DD4.5 was so laid back that we were able to keep up with DS6.5's demands. wink wink wink

That's what I'm certainly hoping for when we do try for another!!! I've heard a lot of people say the same but I'm still worried about getting a mini-DD again. wink Not that we'd love him/her any less but I am just not sure my sanity would hold up!

Thanks!

I get comments from people to i explain everything to her also. I just smile at them most of the time. One friends husband made comments that she is probably so smart from all the infertility medicine I took (we did ivf). I just bite my tounge and laugh.

Hahhahaha! Ok, that's definitely a new one!

H
    H
    One friends husband made comments that she is probably so smart from all the infertility medicine I took (we did ivf). I just bite my tounge and laugh.

That's funny!

I got a comment recently that I am teaching kindergarten materials to DS20mo.

A
    A

I think some people don't know what to say but can't resist saying something.

A
    A
    Thats good to know they make audio books for kids. It is annoying sometimes but so cute. She just started sitting by herself flipping through the books even magazines does help when trying to get things done. She wont let me read Good Night Moon anymore she has to look at it herself just that one for some reason. LOL! I'm enjoying it.

K
    K
    Thanks for the advice, amylou. I have been reading a bit on hyperlexia and it seems like the main diagnostic is that the kids can read the words but do not understand what they're reading. WMy son is not reading yet, but I would think that the same info. would apply to the numbers and his understanding of those. I know that he understands the concept of the one to one correlation and gets that the larger the number, the more of something there is. I'm thinking that hyperlexia may not be something I need to worry about, but at least I know a bit more about it for the future. I have mentioned my son to my doctor and she ran through the autism checklist with me. I am 99% certain that autism is not a label that fits my son, but other than that, he hasn't seen a doctor since birth. So maybe a healthy baby visit is on order. I just kinda feel that a 10 min. visit to the doctor is not really gonna tell me anything. My son is a little shy and 10 min. is not gonna be enough to get him to warm up enough to be himself. I don't think the doctor will be getting an accurate representation of what his personality is really like. That's really why I haven't taken him before, although the doctor did suggest it when I spoke to her before about my son.

I am anxious to see how the reading will go once he starts. He can now recognize a few words, but I wouldn't say that he is reading by any means. I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM