Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    Clay Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Pretend for a moment there are no state or national guidelines, no standardized tests. What should our kids REALLY learn? (The definition of "should really" is sketchy, of course, but what I have in mind, basically, is something that prepares them to be capable of living on their own, and to eventually have careers as professionals who contribute to their field).

How to problem solve across the board, how to set and keep positive realistic goals, how to work through the "tough stuff", how not to give up on yourself.... Just a start. :-)

C
    Clay Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Ooh... I like those. I had thought of problem-solving, but I like goal setting and tenacity, too. Conflict resolution? Analysis?

Here's some concrete stuff. (Some of this stuff can be taught at home... The venue doesn't matter. The point is stuff that should be learned, regardless of the setting):
    -- first aid
    -- cooking
    -- basic car and home maintenance (at least enough to handle small stuff and know when you're not getting ripped off by the plumber or mechanic)
    -- personal finance
    -- basic economics
    -- computer programming?
    -- reading
    -- technical writing
    -- creative writing
    -- I'm not sure what the term is, but consumer savvy?

What else?

conflict resolution/mediation - I like that. I like the concrete ones also.

How about:

--laundry,cleaning
    --childcare -
    --How do self advocate, resume writing etc.

And - etiquette beyond "please" and "thank you" My mom drove me CRAZY with this but in the end I have found myself in many situations where I was glad I knew which fork to use or felt at ease in an unfamiliar social setting.

Oh and also -

--Outdoor survival skills (making fire, orienteering, hunting, edible plants)

Breakaway4

Originally Posted by Breakaway4
    And - etiquette beyond "please" and "thank you" My mom drove me CRAZY with this but in the end I have found myself in many situations where I was glad I knew which fork to use or felt at ease in an unfamiliar social setting.

Oh this is one I wish I had. And why they are important - not just because, but about how it helps you and others feel at ease. Slightly OT, but I'd love to know how to learn/teach this.

I like lots of the ideas too. Just because it's my thing, how about a basic understanding of history and geography. I don't mean the rainfall and major products of Some-minor-country, I mean enough to basically understand current events.

S
    S
    First would be humility and the understanding that the definition of wisdom is the realization of how little we as individuals know. There is nothing in this world that is more destructive than hubris.

Secondly, I would start with logic and critical reasoning skills and then from there your basic reading, writing and arithmetic, etc.

Also included, would be old school history and civics so that our children would know and understand how and why our Constitution and rights are so valuable.

I am always amazed and downright stupefied by college professors that pull old recycled Communist garbage from the trash dumps of history and present it as "original thought."

I would definitely prohibit under threat of immediate termination, any discussion regarding social engineering or any type of social indoctrination. What would be encouraged instead is the promotion of traditional etiquette such as being polite and honest.

Heinlein:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein in Time Enough for Love.

From the late Colonel Jeff Cooper:

What should a young male of 21 know, and what should he be able to do? There are no conclusive answers to those questions, but they are certainly worth asking. A young man should know how this country is run and how it got that way. He should know the Federalist Papers and de Tocqueville, and he should know recent world history. If he does not know what has been tried in the past, he cannot very well avoid those pitfalls as they come up in the future. A young man should be computer literate and, moreover, should know Hemingway from James Joyce. He should know how to drive a car well--such as is not covered in Driver�s Ed. He should know how to fly a light airplane. He should know how to shoot well. He should know elementary geography, both worldwide and local. He should have a cursory knowledge of both zoology and botany. He should know the fundamentals of agriculture and corporate economy. He should be well qualified in armed combat, boxing, wrestling and judo, or its equivalent. He should know how to manage a motorcycle. He should be comfortable in at least one foreign language, more if appropriate to his background. He should be familiar with remedial medicine. These things should be accomplished before a son leaves his father�s household.

Of course, these men are literate polymathic hoplophiles.

I think a simple way to put it is that Education should teach you how to find out what you want to know and give you the habits to be able to come to know it.

hmmm, Boy Scouts, 4H, church, and every day living on the farm is providing GS11 with almost all of the items listed above.

S
    S
    "If he does not know what has been tried in the past, he cannot very well avoid those pitfalls as they come up in the future."

Excellent.

Today even our intellectuals speak as if they have zero knowledge of history and what has failed in the past. Emphasis has changed from the belief that no one person or small group of people can possibly be more wise than the whole of conventional wisdom and past philosophy, to the theory that we all should assume we know everything because we "think for ourselves."

I've always wondered what good it does to think for ones self if one is an idiot.

M
    M
    This is interesting to ponder, Clay! And I find I do ponder it quite a lot, since we essentially are in this situation (we homeschool, and in our province, there is no testing required, nor is it required that we follow provincial curriculum or meet provincial learning outcomes; the required "educational plan" is entirely up to the teaching parent--so I essentially have "started from scratch").

It would be impossible (well, long, anyway, since I am incurably gabby) to write everything I want the boys to learn, but some of what is important to Frenchie and me--and where we are trying to head--includes:

-their understanding of what it takes (including, that is, the actual work itself--they garden & cook, spin & weave & sew, and learn carpentry skills) to feed, clothe, and house a family;
    -their exposure to the very best of art, music, theatre, dance, and literature of many cultures;
    -their cognizance of at least the broad outlines of the history of ideas;
    -their understanding of the rewards of perseverance, and the unique satisfactions inherent in developing and completing a major piece of original work;
    -their development of a flexible, individual, and elegant prose style;
    -their spending as much time as possible in nature, learning to love the world around them;
    -their commitment to social justice and cultivation of a grateful heart;
    -their continuing ability to experience wonder; and
    -their development of the faculty of discernment.

This perhaps seems rather vague, but I find it useful to have an overall philosophical sense of where I hope they are headed as happy, fulfilled, contributing men, and drape the specifics over that.

peace
    minnie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM