Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #82242 08/09/10 03:07 PM
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Great stuff here!

Erika DeBenedictis is a high school student who wrote a prototype software system that would allow a spacecraft to autonomously calculate and fly low-energy orbits.

Erika is one of ten winners of the Intel Science contest who were at the Techonomy conference.
    The Interplanetary Superhighway is based on a mathematical concept known as invariant manifolds (the tubes).

http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/08/techonomy-erika-benedictis-automatic.html

Amy Chyao, 15, of Richardson, Texas, was awarded first place for her work to develop a photosensitizer for photodynamic therapy (PDT), an emerging cancer treatment that uses light energy to activate a drug that kills cancer cells. Amy received $75,000 and the first Gordon E. Moore Award, given in honor of Intel's co-founder.

http://www.cogito.org/Articles/ArticleDetail.aspx?contentid=17947

Austin #82244 08/09/10 03:46 PM
    15 years old and curing cancer. Haha. Wow.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    La Texican #82249 08/09/10 05:29 PM
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The Richardson-Irving-Alliance triangle is the next Silicon Valley.

Austin #82276 08/10/10 08:21 AM
    I
    I
    I have been thinking about Intel recently. D15 did a great insect collection (she won a trip to the state fair with 4H) this summer. I remember reading about a kid who won a top prize at Intel several years ago with a project where he discovered something unusual about the patterns on butterfly wings. I was especially impressed because he clearly did this work all by himself and under his own motivation, he wasn't working in a parent's lab or anything like that. I Googled to try to provide D with the info, but can't find anything... Does anyone else remember this, or know anything about it?

By the way, insect collecting is a GREAT activity for gifted kids. Although D doesn't love some of the "ickier" bugs, it is a very complicated and interesting hobby. She said at first she would only do it for this summer, but even though her collection is off at the fair now, she is still chasing after bugs with her net, and lamented that she didn't take her collecting containers on a recent vacation in another state because she saw some interesting insects.

Last edited by intparent; 08/10/10 08:28 AM.
    intparent #82279 08/10/10 09:01 AM
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Intparent,

Google "insect robots" and "robot butterfly."

Lots of good stuff there.

Austin #82281 08/10/10 09:40 AM
    W
    W
    My DS14 participated in this year's Intel ISEF, and I have to say it was a fabulous, life-changing event for him. The prize money won was great, the science celebs he got to meet were impressive, and the chance to present his research made him feel really proud of himself, but by far what he'll remember most about the weekend is the huge group of kids he met from all over the world. They went to (age-appropriate and supervised) parties, traded pins, played games, hung-out, and learned so much from each other. The opportunity to share his passion with others who "get it" was priceless. Despite differences in culture, politics, and other stuff, their mutual love of science truly made it seem like a big family reunion. The kids who win the big money prizes are truly astounding and so very deserving (I didn't even understand most of their projects), but even for those who compete for the smaller awards, or who go just for the experience, will walk away having had the time of their lives.

wayoutwest #82283 08/10/10 11:14 AM
    B
    B
    I have a quick question for those of you who have done "fancy", not "testing out various home items" type experiments. DD14 *loves* science, but she never gets passed on any of the topics she is interested in because they are "too complicated." One of her friends (*very* smart, grade below) somehow got access to a lab to do experiments in, one of them being a topic she (my daughter) was very interested in. She lost motivation due to the 'stupid' topic she had to use, and ended up pretty much making up results, since she already knew what would happened. How did you guys get a lab? (if you did) The school doesn't have anything to use, and we are totally lost about how to go about getting a place.
    The way it sounds, the kids who have parents that are doctors/scientists are always going to get the top prizes, even at the school/local levels, because they can do higher level experiments. Of course, there are always exceptions- the one with the butterflies, for example. We are in a very competitive north texas school district..

Bassetlover #82301 08/10/10 07:09 PM
    I
    I
    BL, we have that same problem. Unless your kid is a super self-advocate who is willing to go out and ask local professors or scientists about doing projects, the odds are that they won't get the chance to do some of that cool stuff. My kid is NOT the self advocating type. The only thing I can think of is for you to ask the science teachers at the school if they have any contacts or could help your daughter find a lab to work on one of the more interesting topics.

Ignoring the science fair/project stuff, I am watching for summer camp opportunities that give her a chance to do lab work beyond just basic course work. I am hoping that THINK at Davidson offers a course next summer that involves lab work. But once she ages out of THINK (and she just has one more year), we will probably look at for summer programs that have interesting lab components.

My goal is to help light that fire again on science stuff. She LOVED science in elementary school, but didn't have such a great experience in that vast wasteland/marking time experience that is middle school. She perked up regarding science once she got to ninth grade, but not with the same passion she used to have for it. She would make a great scientist.

intparent #82312 08/10/10 09:38 PM
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The one thing that makes one kid stand out from others is that they finished what they started. Another is that they moved from a smaller project to a slightly bigger and harder project then to a slightly longer and harder project. They also explored a field in depth. They developed a bag of tools along the way.

There are several analogies. Consider the sports star who spends 2-4 hours a night practicing and another 2-4 hours a night studying tapes and learning from books. Or, consider the pianist who spends 2-4 hours a day working on one long piece, breaking it down, then integrating it, working it over and over. Or the actor in a long play learning each scene, then adding to the performance night after night.

Expanding one's knowledge in a given area means to learn as much as you can about a subject, then when you find questions no one knows, you then spend the time to formulate your own answers. Parents and other adults can help by providing guidance on being organized, on developing an overall roadmap, setting up a place to work uninterrupted, help them to pace themselves and to provide patience, and help kids to find mentors and access to information, but ultimately the kids need the enthusiasm from inside.

Most of what passes for "science" in public schools is not science. Science is testing hypotheses. All the stuff taught has already been proved a long, long time ago. F=ma - duh. It is empty brain calories.

Kuhn had some thoughts on science that pertain to this discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Structure_of_Scientific_Revolutions

Real research means disproving hundreds of ideas until you find one that might work. It is a struggle.

With today's internet, you do not need a lab. You just need a good pc and need to know how to program. You also need a good math foundation. Then you can do original work in many fields or collaborate on lots of open projects.

This field is literally exploding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPGPU

The basic tools to do science are programming, lots of math, and the ability to read a book and then do the problems. For instance, if I wanted to learn how to do something, I would go find some graduate level classes in that subject, look up the textbooks used, then work to understand everything in them by studying them. If I had some math issues, I would step back, find some texts on that math subject, master them, then move forward. I would also get some software programs on that subject and play with them to learn all I could. I would also find out if there were local interest groups that met or online forums or national or regional meetings. If you know your stuff and have a deep interest in it, then you will make connections and learn more.

Last edited by Austin; 08/10/10 09:40 PM.
    Austin #82315 08/11/10 04:39 AM
    That's true. �I had kind of the same thought when I read about the teenage entrepreneurs in silicon valley. �They made successful businesses. �Their parents gave them 10,000 - 100,000 start up capital and they had mentors. �Still, not everybody can succeed given that same opportunity or else it wouldn't have been newsworthy. �
    That's probably why all the research into gifted development seems to revolve around identifying underrepresented minorities and re-writing tests to identify a broader talent base. �But what can you do with them once you've found them? �You don't have a job or fancy lab equipment to offer every worthy student in the world.
    But it's still great what these kids did with their opportunity. �There's grown men with college degrees running businesses into the ground, yet these high-schoolers were successful. �And still- 15 yrs. old and curing cancer already. �Wow!
    Maybe somebody could research if underprivileged kids do less with their lives because of lack of resources, or if the lack of resources creates a lack if vision, that they just never feel free to �develop a dream and pursue it. �If that's the case maybe reading more fantasy books would help.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 01:03 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM