Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 179 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Funny story! Today we went to visit my Grandmother in the hospital, she fell and injured her back. She's ok but they admitted her because she's 91 and they just want to watch her. Anyways, Jimmy asked her what number her pain was! I started grinning from ear to ear. Just goes to show you how much your children really so listen to you!

Natalie DS5 DS1
    Originally Posted by Jimmysmom
    Funny story! Today we went to visit my Grandmother in the hospital, she fell and injured her back. She's ok but they admitted her because she's 91 and they just want to watch her. Anyways, Jimmy asked her what number her pain was! I started grinning from ear to ear. Just goes to show you how much your children really so listen to you!
    Awesome!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    T
    My frustration is coming from his overly dramatic personality. He falls and skins his knee and cries like he just got hit by a car! I feel as though I am on edge with him all day because he is so "go, go ,go" all day. He is so easily bored and he always needs something to do. This was a bit easier for me before I had my second son who is now six months. He's so intense and everything is such a big deal in his mind. I feel so bad that he's frustrating me this much because he is such a good, loving, kind hearted boy but my head is spinning all day. Any thoughts?
    Jimmysmom DS4 DS6m

Oh my gosh! This is our DS8 to a T. His first two years playing soccer if he got bumped or tripped he wouldn't jump back up like his team mates--instead he would go flying through the air, roll once or twice and then writhe around on the ground. We used to joke that he wasn't learning to play soccer, he was in training to earn an Oscar for some future dramatic death scene. It was truly something to behold. This year (second grade) he finally dropped the death scenes from his soccer playing, but he is still intense, intense, intense and yes, still exhausting (and sweet, and lovable, and....).

Kriston: That's perfect! I could definitely have used that strategy a few years back. Who knows, it may still come in handy wink

Wow! That's surely a sign that he gets it. Woohoo!

Kriston
    L
    L
    Hi, have just discovered this web site and after reading it have breathed a sigh of relief. There are other people out there with the same issues as our family. Our daughter is 5 (22 June). She's the youngest in her prep class at school (kinder) and seems to be the smartest.

She's highly reactive, and as Kriston describes with the wrinkled sock saga, will cry immediately if her sock, or hair, or anything is not just right, without giving me the chance to fix it first. It' driving me crazy. She's advanced with words, reading and concepts, mimics accents perfectly, has a big imagination and a big concentration span. Her teacher has called her gifted, without any prompting from me.

I have often (to myself) called her my Drama Princess.

I will try the 1-10 scale too and see if she runs with it. I think she'd relish in analysing her angst.

My 3 year old son is the opposite. Calm, sweet, patient but also a smart boy. I love my children, but it's a nice change to have at least one child who doesn't cry the house down if one hair is out of place.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Originally Posted by Nikita
    Originally Posted by Raddy
    (high in Omega 3, beware of Omega 6)

Why beware of Omega 6?

Anyone care to share a recommended brand? We've been using Nordic Naturals Omega 3-6-9 Junior.

We need both 3's and 6's, but we get way too much 6 and way too little 3 in our diets.
    And the point is that what seems to matter is the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 - so getting a lot of omega 6 as well as your omega 3 doesn't just not help, it actively harms, because it increases the amount of omega 3 you'd need still further. This is rather unlike the way most other nutrients work, where if you get more than you need the excess is simply excreted. Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids can take part in many of the same reactions in the body - the body can't choose to use whatever omega 3s there are before going to the omega 6s, it just uses whatever's around - but the resulting slightly different product chemicals behave differently. That said, there's a lot that's not clear yet, especially about the effects of taking supplements as opposed to having am omega 3 rich diet.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader