Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 410 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    G
    G
    Back again, and I just found the typo on the DS home site...

Who We Serve

We serve profoundly gifted young people under the age of 18. Profoundly gifted students are those who score in the 99th percentile on IQ and achievement tests. These students often share the following characteristics:

An extreme need for constant mental stimulation
    An ability to learn and process complex information rapidly
    A need to explore subjects in surprising depth
    An insatiable curiosity; endless questions and inquiries
    A need for precision in thinking and expression-often answering questions with �that depends...�
    An ability to focus intently on a subject of interest for long periods of time
    An inability to concentrate on a task that is not intellectually challenging, including repetitious ideas or material presented in small pieces

In addition, we provide information and educational opportunities for teachers, school administrators, school counselors, pediatricians, psychologists, psychiatrists and other professionals.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I did send a note to Davidson's website admin, in case it was a typo. My hunch is that this is a decision on their part - but I don't really get what's behind it.

I have no idea if I made up 'PGlets' - I might have only popularized it, as was the case with 'bottlenecks.' When my son turned 10, he seemed to figure out all at once that about 30% of my conversation was phrases that most people don't use. He took to asking me - is that a normal word or a mom word. I can't say that I blame him on that one.

I did invent YS-sibs and have tried my best to popularize it to solve the problem of seeing 'My Non-YS child' in print on the Davidson private lists((Yuck!))

Love and More Love (which I definitely made up)
    Grinity (which I also definitely made up)

William Shakespeare - I may not be as talented a writer as you are - but I aim to create as many words as you did!!!!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Val Offline
    Just wrote a comment on the second installation.

The focus was "Statistics show that 85% of public school educators agree that more needs to be done for gifted students."

I would really, really like to know more about that statistic. For reference as to why, please see the long thread about how our sun will turn into a red giant and swallow Venus if a gifted kid gets to skip a grade. wink

Val

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    William Shakespeare - I may not be as talented a writer as you are - but I aim to create as many words as you did!!!!

I love making up words! I always know I've made up a good one when other people start using it. Most of my extended family is the same, and I think that outsiders might have a hard time understanding us at family gatherings.

"Where's buta?"

"He's nipped."

Translation:

"Where's the cat?"

"He snorted too much catnip and fell asleep."

Val

Last edited by Val; 07/23/10 11:36 AM.
    Originally Posted by gratefulmom
    Who We Serve

We serve profoundly gifted young people under the age of 18. Profoundly gifted students are those who score in the 99th percentile on IQ and achievement tests. These students often share the following characteristics:

Our Dear Moderator has corrected the website and asks that we bring this to the attention of the readers of the article:

I hope you are well! Thank you for catching this � we have updated the website to include the 99.9th language: http://www.davidsongifted.org/Article/About_Us_318.aspx.

As for the editorial, this might be a good quote to pass around that I found on the Genius Denied website (although it is 30 years old): http://www.geniusdenied.com/articles.aspx?articleid=40&NavID=3_1

"Within the top 1% of the I.Q. distribution...there is at least as much spread of talent as there is in the entire range from the 1st to the 99th percentile." (H. Robinson, 1981)

Go Team!

I'll be away this weekend, so if anyone can get back to the article discussion and carefully develop this a bit, I would appreciate it.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity 'apple-polisher extrodinare'

Last edited by Grinity; 07/23/10 02:17 PM.

M
    M
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your comments. We actually did have a typo on the "About Us" page of the website (http://www.davidsongifted.org/Article/About_Us_318.aspx), but have since corrected it. We also contacted the reporter of the story about this error and I imagine he'll have it fixed shortly. Thanks again!

Thanks Mark! We gotta keep Dottie well supplied for sharing with her school admins! ((wink))

D
    D

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM