Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Bostonian Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/16/10 09:18 PM
It is the first article of a series, probably nothing new for most readers of this forum. The Davidsons are quoted.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ifted-children-nurturing-genius-part-one
Psychology Today
July 15, 2010, Child Development
Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius (Part One) Nurturing gifted children.
Posted By: Val Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/17/10 08:14 PM
Thanks for posting the link. The story was great.

Val
Posted By: venture Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/18/10 04:53 PM
Nothing new, but interesting all the same. I'm looking forward to reading Part II.
Posted By: jesse Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/18/10 05:53 PM
Good intro. Looking forward to part 2.
Posted By: traceyqns Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/20/10 07:24 PM
Thanks. I love the line that the gifted child is the most likely to "fall through the cracks" that sums up how I feel.

So hard to watch your child keep falling and falling through the cracks. So hard to try at home to keep them from crashing into the ground by doing anything and everything we can to keep them stimulated so they don't go brain dead.
Posted By: Dandy Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/22/10 02:06 PM
Part Two is online now:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ted-children-nurturing-genius-part-two-0
Posted By: Mam Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/22/10 02:50 PM
I think it might be a typo since it does use 99.9% and 3 S.D. on the first part.
Posted By: youngboy815 Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/22/10 04:23 PM
So hard to watch your child keep falling and falling through the cracks. So hard to try at home to keep them from crashing into the ground by doing anything and everything we can to keep them stimulated so they don't go brain dead.
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/22/10 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dottie
I'm sure it is too, but there will still be misreading and misunderstanding. It's an unfortunate typo.

Hi Dottie!!! Enjoy that vacation!

I agree, unfortunate.

I especially like that the reporter said this:
I liked the amount and type of parental involvement that was implicit in her examples. This kind of participation is not about getting in the way. It�s about walking behind the child and paying a lot of attention. It�s about knowing your child and facilitating where he or she needs to go. As a big proponent of Self development, I liked what I was hearing a lot

For those of us who feel like we don't get appreciation from the ND world: post that on your refridgerator and celebrate!

BTW I just posted a longish reply pointing out the 99.9%, and saw that someone else did too. So that's handled! Yippee!
Posted By: gratefulmom Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/22/10 07:29 PM
I just read both of your beautifully-written comments. Did you see that the reporter just wrote back and says that she copied the 99th from the DI website? I haven't looked yet, but that sounds like there's a typo on that site! If so, that is sure to confuse lots of parents who aren't in the program.

Btw, Grinity, is the "PGlets" term something you made up? That was the first time I saw that, and it made me laugh! I'm not sure how DS would feel about me sharing with him, though, so perhaps I'll wait. So cute, though!!

Posted By: gratefulmom Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/22/10 07:33 PM
Back again, and I just found the typo on the DS home site...

Who We Serve

We serve profoundly gifted young people under the age of 18. Profoundly gifted students are those who score in the 99th percentile on IQ and achievement tests. These students often share the following characteristics:

An extreme need for constant mental stimulation
An ability to learn and process complex information rapidly
A need to explore subjects in surprising depth
An insatiable curiosity; endless questions and inquiries
A need for precision in thinking and expression-often answering questions with �that depends...�
An ability to focus intently on a subject of interest for long periods of time
An inability to concentrate on a task that is not intellectually challenging, including repetitious ideas or material presented in small pieces

In addition, we provide information and educational opportunities for teachers, school administrators, school counselors, pediatricians, psychologists, psychiatrists and other professionals.

Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/22/10 09:48 PM
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I did send a note to Davidson's website admin, in case it was a typo. My hunch is that this is a decision on their part - but I don't really get what's behind it.

I have no idea if I made up 'PGlets' - I might have only popularized it, as was the case with 'bottlenecks.' When my son turned 10, he seemed to figure out all at once that about 30% of my conversation was phrases that most people don't use. He took to asking me - is that a normal word or a mom word. I can't say that I blame him on that one.

I did invent YS-sibs and have tried my best to popularize it to solve the problem of seeing 'My Non-YS child' in print on the Davidson private lists((Yuck!))

Love and More Love (which I definitely made up)
Grinity (which I also definitely made up)

William Shakespeare - I may not be as talented a writer as you are - but I aim to create as many words as you did!!!!
Posted By: Val Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/23/10 06:27 PM
Just wrote a comment on the second installation.

The focus was "Statistics show that 85% of public school educators agree that more needs to be done for gifted students."

I would really, really like to know more about that statistic. For reference as to why, please see the long thread about how our sun will turn into a red giant and swallow Venus if a gifted kid gets to skip a grade. wink

Val
Posted By: Val Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/23/10 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Grinity
William Shakespeare - I may not be as talented a writer as you are - but I aim to create as many words as you did!!!!

I love making up words! I always know I've made up a good one when other people start using it. Most of my extended family is the same, and I think that outsiders might have a hard time understanding us at family gatherings.

"Where's buta?"

"He's nipped."

Translation:

"Where's the cat?"

"He snorted too much catnip and fell asleep."

Val
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/23/10 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by gratefulmom
Who We Serve

We serve profoundly gifted young people under the age of 18. Profoundly gifted students are those who score in the 99th percentile on IQ and achievement tests. These students often share the following characteristics:

Our Dear Moderator has corrected the website and asks that we bring this to the attention of the readers of the article:

I hope you are well! Thank you for catching this � we have updated the website to include the 99.9th language: http://www.davidsongifted.org/Article/About_Us_318.aspx.

As for the editorial, this might be a good quote to pass around that I found on the Genius Denied website (although it is 30 years old): http://www.geniusdenied.com/articles.aspx?articleid=40&NavID=3_1

"Within the top 1% of the I.Q. distribution...there is at least as much spread of talent as there is in the entire range from the 1st to the 99th percentile." (H. Robinson, 1981)

Go Team!

I'll be away this weekend, so if anyone can get back to the article discussion and carefully develop this a bit, I would appreciate it.

Love and More Love,
Grinity 'apple-polisher extrodinare'

Posted By: Mark D. Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/23/10 10:32 PM
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your comments. We actually did have a typo on the "About Us" page of the website (http://www.davidsongifted.org/Article/About_Us_318.aspx), but have since corrected it. We also contacted the reporter of the story about this error and I imagine he'll have it fixed shortly. Thanks again!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/27/10 02:08 AM
Thanks Mark! We gotta keep Dottie well supplied for sharing with her school admins! ((wink))
Posted By: Dandy Re: Gifted Children: Nurturing Genius - 07/29/10 09:30 PM
Part three has landed:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...d-children-nurturing-genius-part-three-0

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum