Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 159 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    any advice for a preschooler going in for a full eval? our district is not willing to accept our private testing, but has agreed to do their own full battery (different test). in his first private eval the psych said he was fidgety and distracted(and still did very well smile ).....but i wonder if anyone has any ideas i can steal to help him be a little more focused and forget about the ticking clock and the new people and place so he can do his best.

any ideas?

they called us last minute for tomorrow morning....so far i know i am going to get there early and walk him around for a while to get him used to this new school.

he also very much wants to go to school....so we discussed trying hard to give his best answers so he can get "yes marks." lol. (his words wink

anything else?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by momma2many
    the psych said he was fidgety and distracted(and still did very well smile ).....but i wonder if anyone has any ideas i can steal to help him be a little more focused and forget about the ticking clock and the new people and place so he can do his best.

If he can do well with distracted fidgeting, he may not need to focus more. The school evaluator is likely used to it with young kids. When DD had her kindergarten evaluation, I don't think she sat in her chair at all, and did most of it standing on one foot.

Getting there early to settle in has always worked well for us, as has a "dry run" the day before, when possible.

At least you got a warning...they took my little guy out of class one day and I didn't find out about it til a week or so later! (We knew they were going to schedule the eval...but no one told us when it was going to be.) My son is a super fidgeter also and was not forced to sit or even stand still. He typically paces when thinking and answering more complex questions, which was acceptable. I know previous postings about a similar situation talk about NOT saying it is going to be fun...but to my son it really is! Blocks, puzzles, fun questions are all involved in it...so we have tried to play up the positive. I'm sure your DC will do great! Good luck to you smile Nan

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...