Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #80956 07/23/10 03:24 PM
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread on testing, so I thought I'd post my question on it's own. My apologies if it's been discussed before.

What are the reasons or benefits for taking some of the other tests, like the Explore? I've looked it up and see that it's helpful in identifying strengths/weaknesses and for future planning, but I'm wondering what benefit (if any) there is for younger kids taking it. I don't need it for school support or anything that I can think of right now. DS10 was fortunate enough to get a grade skip when it was needed. So, what are some of the reasons/benefits of taking the test and having the info? Thanks.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Here are some:

*Help negotiating advanced classes (one DS scored 24 of 25 on math in 5th grade which supported my argument that he was past middle school math).
    *Experience with test taking--getting comfortable and start learning test taking strategy. High scores on ACT/SAT equate to real $ in scholarships. They figure out how to budget time, guess when it's ok, leave blank when guessing is not advised, etc. Whether we're fans of testing or not, a lot is based on certain tests.
    *Fun - Some kids (not me, but definitely my boys) think it's fun to work out above level test questions. This was a great "enrichment" suggestion from the school district when I called to say my oldest was bored through and through. Their one suggestion was above level testing...for fun, challenge, whatever. Up till this point, oldest DS had only taken annual tests with grade-mates. not much is gained when he topped those. This raises ceiling and shows closer to true ability.

D
    D
    How do you get the Explore test administered? What ages can take it?

DeeDee

C
    cym Offline
    C
    We originally registered through a talent search that uses EXPLORE (belin blank, cbk, and duke tip). Even though we're out of region for 2 of those, I believe you can still register. Then find closest test center to you. One poster said you can get school principal or teachers to administer the test. I've only been able to get a teacher to administer it through the talent search (they asked teacher, not me). Now we have a test center. Maybe you know a nice teacher who would do it? They get paid. I would call ACT.org to ask how you set up a test center if you don't already have one nearby.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    3rd-6th grade level for talent search kids since the test is normed for 8th & 9th graders.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations