Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Spongebob typing was better for my DS... He's not great but he's much better!

Hee hee. My preschooler has been on a computer for about a year now. He has a subscription to that Jumpstart world and has no problem at all using the arrow keys and spacebar to navigate that 3-d videogame. I just subscribed to kidzui after seeing someone here suggest it (I'm going to have to quit reading this forum if I don't get better Executive Functioning Skills to quit buying everything I see). Well Kidzui let's him type in the google box. He's never been allowed to type before, only point and click and use the arrow keys. There was some problem with kidzui (I installed it wrong) so he couldn't use it. He muted the computer while using Jumpstart so I wouldn't know what he was doing and shrunk the game so he could type on the previous screen where you sign up for e-mail lists and Twitter and stuff, they have typing boxes on that page.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Originally Posted by Mom2Two
    They say, he really can't even respond in writing at a 2nd grade level. His penmanship (mechanics) are good. His spelling is good. He uses proper punctuation and capitalization. But he is so worried about doing it correctly that it takes him a really long time. So to respond with more than one or two sentences frustrates him to the point that he just "gives up and gets mad."

Well, I'm not buying the argument that the school's only obligation is to help him in his challenge areas. I think it's important to think about the whole child. I'm guessing that this is a 'special school' in some way because they are working a year ahead of national standards, and sometimes schools can be so impressed by themselves because of their achievements that they get really inflexible and blame those who don't 'fit.'

As soon as possible I would visit lots of classrooms, in this school and in other schools and see exactly what there is for your child in any particular setting. I would look into all the possible ways to make school work for your child, including changing schools, changing grades, homeschooling, and afterschool enrichment. Perhaps a private IQ test might bring some more insight into what is the best school fit, and a professional who might fight in your corner.

In the meantime, I think your son is quite miserable in his writing ability. Your description makes me feel sad for him. Everyone deserves to be able to communicate fluently, by talking, typing and, for shorter messages, through printing. (I see cursive writing as more optional.)

If you think the time is right, then perhaps you could 'hothouse' the printing a bit. My favorite materials are the 'handwriting without tears' books and I especially love their notebook paper. I would try to make it a fun way to spend time with a beloved parent. An interesting challenge. I would have writing races to see who can write faster, and laugh at the silly results. It seems like loosening him up a bit as you increase his skill would be a kind thing to do. Maybe try doing 'speed trials' in other activities - such as cake icing and bed making so that he learns that there are times in life where gusto is more important than precision. Maybe introduce an imaginary superhero to your family 'FastMan' who does things quickly, but not perfectly.

Sorry if I'm offbase here - perhaps I'm talking to a lurker sitting behind you! I typed this post very quickly and with my first instinct: FastMan to the Rescue!!!

Love and More Silliness,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    P
    Typing is so old school. Get the brain stem implant: http://cerebralgifts.com/accessories/cablesandconnectors/implants/DYI.aspx

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM