Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Status update: no testing is necessary for now. My son went through the screening for kindergarten, which is not designed to screen for giftedness. We got a letter in the mail accepting my son to kindergarten. T

hen my wife spoke with the school district and set up a meeting with our to-be vice principal, whose administrative assistant said that the way they handle grade skips in this part of NH is that the teachers assess the kid over the space of two weeks for social readiness, etc. and some tests are done one at a time during that period. If he does well in those tests, he will be skipped ahead at the end of the two weeks. I'm not sure what the chances are that he'll be skipped more than one grade, but I think I only want him skipped one grade right now anyway at a maximum.

I think this sounds like a pretty good system. It gives them a chance to see if he's emotionally/socially ready or would be better off in kindergarten. The testing is spread out, instead of being concentrated into a more stressful half a day or whatever. And it's free. smile I'm not sure who does the actual tests, but we'll find that out at the meeting.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    T
    T
    Hi

I am new here. My son is 4.5 years old. We live in seacoast area, NH. My son is advanced in reading and math. He is reading at level gr. 1-2 books. Doing simple addition and substraction. He has expressive language delay that make him left behind in social and emotional skills.

Any information about testing in NH area ? How much the cost ?

Iucounu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi! We are in the Nashua area, and our son has just turned 5, so are in a similar boat. We contacted a couple of psychologists, including Aimee Yermish in Massachusetts. She gave us some good advice, and quoted us a rough figure for testing and some follow-up.

I would contact psychologists in the area, and just keep asking what they offer in terms of tests and rates. You can try contacting the local school system psychologist, if there is one-- sometimes, apparently, they do testing on the side. Another thing I read here in the last couple of days is that you can sometimes get a local college or university to do testing for cheap or free, if they have a psychology program (testing would be done by a student).

Why do you want the testing, for use with the public school system or for another purpose? If you are going to use it for a school, especially a NH public school, I would first start by reading the local school district's rules and following up with the local administration to see what they may accept.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    T
    T
    Lucounu: thanks for your info and advise.

we will find further information about school distric rules.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM