Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #8036 01/30/08 08:40 AM
    S
    shaangi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi all,
    Any opinions on the "Cluefinders" math software series from the "Learning Company"? - specifically the 3rd and 4th grade stuff

Also, there is one from the "Scholastic"-Math Missions: The Amazing Arcade Adventure Grades 3-5- any opinions on this ?

Thanks.

DS5 played Cluefinedrs 3rd grade and liked it a lot. I thought it had a few nice concepts. I kind of wish they had them do more of each activity. He played it around the time he turned 5. I am actually about to order the 4th and 5th grades.

We have Math Missions and it's ok. He is not too much into it though. He prefers a story line to follow and he hates any type of game which requires quick response and too much of keyboard coordination. Math Mission doesn't have the latter but it also doesn't have any real story line where you can clearly see a progress.

LMom
    LMom #8058 01/30/08 11:58 AM
    S
    shaangi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    LMom, thanks for your response. Can I pl ask a followup question for clarification? Is you son very advanced and able to handle 3rd grade material at age 5 or is the Cluefinders 3rd grade not quite 3rd grade level work? I only want to see if DD will find it allto easy and not challening enough. Thanks for any perspectives.

DS needed help, the game was challenging for him but not frustrating. It seemed like a good match at that time. He is good at math, but he was nowhere close to mastering 3rd grade Singapore curriculum at that point.

If I look at Singapore Math and their 3rd grade curriculum, then the game is easier than 3rd grade. It doesn't cover long division and multi digit multiplication. From what I recall most of the problems were adding/subtracting 3 digit numbers with 1-2 digit numbers. There were a few nice logic problems, some measurements, perimeter, word problems, sorting, grammar, geography and probably lots of other things I've already forgotten about.

LMom

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM