Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 233 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    cecenk Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    We can no longer take the gray skies of the Seattle area and are researching a move to the OC. I found info online about LA county unified school district...but I'm really having trouble finding info about any public gifted schools or the GATE program in the OC. I have a 3rd grade moderately gifted boy who loves sports. He currently attends a private gifted school. My dream location would be a public school with a full-time gifted program in a great area of down-to-earth people. To complete the dream we would love to be about 20 minutes drive to beach. I'm also interested in private schools especially if the public school idea doesn't seem feasible. In this dream we can live whereever we want so any feedback about ideal location is greatly appreciated. (can be outside the OC as well as long as sunny and shortish drive to beach)

I would say come to Florida, except for the fact that the state is in the process of being destroyed....

We ride our bikes to the beach, have several public schools with full time gifted programs and one public "school for the gifted" just in my county!

BTW, we are going to the beach daily until they close it. We have no sign of oil yet.

Nan

M
    M
    Have you considered contacting someone at UC Irvine's Extension Program? They have a GATE training program, and sometimes offer free GATE webinars that IMHO have been very well run and provided good info. I wonder if one of the people running that piece of the extension program could, at the very least, give you some suggestions about how to find info about OC's GATE program.

If you're interested, I probably have the names/numbers of a couple of contacts there. PM me if you want me to look them up and send to you.

A
    az1 Offline
    A
    I have a girlfriend who has 2 PG daughters and they both attend The Pegasus School in Huntington Beach, CA. I have heard wonderful things from her but have no personal experience myself.

http://www.thepegasusschool.org/

V
    V
    Cecenk - Not sure what school your son currently attends, but we're looking to apply to SCDS for 2011 entry. If you have any feedback I'd love to hear, even by PM. Thanks!

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    If you can afford a private school like Pegasus, do it. Otherwise I don't think the public school GATE program in Orange County, CA, has much to offer due to the state budget crisis.

My 1st grader was GATE identified by her Orange County elementary school last year, formally tested at 99th percentile in language/reasoning. At first we were excited because we received paperwork indicating she could be placed on a waiting list for the district GATE school, Trabuco Mesa, which had the SDC (special day class) of GATE students. I imagined her spending these formative years in a challenging environment alongside other gifted kids rather than just as bored as she was through most of 1st grade.

Long story short, it turns out there are no Special Day Classes for GATE students in our Saddleback Valley School district anymore, at least not in the lower grades. The information on the Trabuco Mesa Elementary website is outdated and wrong now, which means a lot has changed for the worse in just a couple of years. They said that some of their 5-6th grade classes do have a lot of GATE students but that's it.

There's a distinct sense that the GATE program is not a priority now. They don't have the staff to assign all the GATE students to anymore, at least that's the impression I got. Schools are struggling to stay above water here. They're always doing fund raisers just to keep programs going and staff on hand that I took for granted when I was a kid, and some great teachers got pink slips this year.

At this point, after the tests and the paperwork and dashed hopes, we're simply hoping our daughter gets a good 2nd grade teacher with GATE experience and maybe a couple of other GATE students in her 'cluster' to work alongside.

I have heard good things about Virginia's public schools and their handling of gifted children, however. I am looking seriously at moving out because there are no indicators that things will improve in California.

You may also want to look at some of the public schools in Irvine, they see to do well.

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    I learned more about the GATE program in our district of Orange County (Saddleback). Some of their website is outdated but there is useful information at this page:

http://www.svusd.org/p_subject.asp?sid=8127

In our district, if your child is identified as gifted, you are offered the opportunity to send them to a Regional School. In our case the Regional School serves five elementary schools, so you will never be sending your gifted 2nd grader to an entire "Special Day Class" filled with gifted 2nd graders. That's because there simply are not that many gifted second graders across the five schools served. What you find out is that your child's current school already has a GATE-qualified 2nd grade teacher, and any gifted 2nd graders will automatically be placed in her class. That's what happened with our DD7. The difference between that arrangement and the one at the Regional School is that the GATE cluster group at the Regional School will always be slightly larger. So our DD7's 2nd grade class might have 2 or 3 GATE-identified students in an otherwise normal 2nd grade class, but at the Regional School the same GATE cluster in the same otherwise normal class might be more like 5 or 6 children.

Apparently at our Regional School these clusters grow in the upper grades, so by 3rd or 4th grade it becomes a more important consideration depending upon your child's needs. If we find our DD7 really benefits from the GATE instruction and curriculum and peers in 2nd grade, we will likely move her in 3rd grade to the Regional School. This was all information we had to work to find out.

Always consider the experience of the teacher. At our Regional School, the 2nd grade GATE teacher had 12 years of experience, but she had since moved to 3rd grade (which was not updated on their website). She was replaced with a 2nd grade teacher who had minimal GATE experience. So we decided to keep our DD7 at her home school because the GATE-qualified 2nd grade teacher there had many more years of experience.

You have to fight for clear answers sometimes. Last week we asked our home school office who our child's GATE teacher would be, and they evaded the question and said "all our 2nd grade teachers are GATE qualified." That was entirely untrue; only one teacher was qualified and that teacher was gracious enough to tell us that when we asked her directly through e-mail.

For some reason I'm finding at the public elementary schools here they do everything they can to avoid telling parents who their child's teacher will be, or even what teachers will still have jobs. In fact at our school, which starts September 13th, they were originally going to announce class and teacher assignments on the 3rd. But then a couple of days later they changed that date to the 10th.

I beleive a number of public schools just do not know what they will have as far as staff goes. And as for keeping parents in the dark, I believe they do that out of a management style. Otherwise one ES prinicpal may need to field 300-400 parent adjustments. Its an over simlification, but not far from the mark. Regaurdless of their reasns we still need to be our childs best advocate. Our district no longer has Gate in ES. We went with a grade skip, and we push for subject acceleration. We also push for a teacher that will be flexable. Finding an in school acedemic peer group is almost out of the question. But thier are other peer groups we can find, sports, games, etc... Even academicly their are areas where he can fit in, and areas he cannot. If your DD7 likes math look into the Orange County Math Circle, or maybe even Math Zoom. Also UC Irvine has some summer programs.

Last edited by Edwin; 09/01/10 10:40 AM. Reason: If I could only Spell & Type
    G
    G
    Huntington Beach Unified has a full time GATE program that goes at least through 8th grade:
    http://www.hbcsd.k12.ca.us/content.php?cid=15

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM