Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #79960 07/09/10 09:20 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    So, I am wondering if we should have out daughter re-tested using the WISC-IV with a psych who specializes in gifted kids, and has much experience with 2E kids. She was originally tested at 6 yrs 1 mo. during a single session during which she was tested with the WISC-IV and Woodcock Johnson. In the write up the tester stated that she was very volatile/young for her age, she didn't like any question that required 2 min sustained attention, she really, really didn't like the ticking of the timer the tester was using, she was very impulsive in her answers, particularly in the PRI section, and her scoring on the comprehension portion of the test related to social norms was her lowest in that section and that seemed "off." (DD had been getting in a lot of trouble at school and I think those questions made her very uncomfortable - and she's always been a bit behind socially). There was a huge spread between the verbal and perceptual tests. The verbal was higher. She didn't ceiling out on any of the sub-tests (17 or 18 was highest I think).

Her experience with this test was part of the reason we continued her evaluation for ADHD, which was confirmed.

Has anyone had the experience of retesting and getting a higher score? How many points higher was that score? 5? 10? 20?

We have been seriously struggling with schooling, and am wondering just how helpful DYS could be if she qualified and if it is worth pursuing. I know she is very, very smart. The question is, is it worth it to find out the numbers? I am also afraid (I admit) that it'll come back and I was way off. I have to say, though, I have always had a tendency to underestimate, not overestimate, her abilities, so hopefully that wouldn't be the case.

Any thoughts on the value of another WISC-IV or other test?

-- Sky

J
    J
    My son had a spread of 14 points when he took the WISC 1.5 years apart. When we got the low score I had him re-tested with the SB-V and he scored higher than the original WISC-V result by 4 points.

Not knowing your situation, I don't know if it's worth it or not. In my case, I had a lot of evidence that was very suggestive of a higher IQ. But I think the audible timer could have had a significant effect. Frankly, that seems REALLY stupid. How could the tester notice and comment on the distraction the timer was creating, yet keep using it? I would go to someone else.

#80069 07/11/10 05:41 AM
    C
    C
    We haven't retested dd11 although I do believe that her first WISC-IV was a bit of an underestimation (as did the tester) due to lack of cooperation from dd on the timed parts, especially block design. However, in our instance I don't think that she'd qualify for DYS & I don't know what benefit it would have for her.

With dd9, we did retest on the WISC-IV one year after the first testing and got a score that was 20 points lower. Her verbal was still quite high with a 19 and a 17 in there, but the other score was a 12, so overall 99th. The first set of verbal scores were 18, 18, 15, so a similar pattern with the third score being the lowest (just not quite as low as time #2).

Her first composite score would have qualified for DYS and the second was barely MG. Again, she doesn't have any other DYS level scores so I'm not pursuing testing yet again at this point.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    My son has been tested three times over the span of five years. His scores vary all over the place, with a distinct trend up. He has dyslexia, APD, ADHD, had visual issues that VT helped, and OT for motor and sensory problems. We homeschool and over that five years spent a huge amount of time and energy remediating weaknesses and running with strengths. I believe that his true GAI is probably about 10 points higher and the disabilities are continuing to mask it somewhat.

VCI 26 point spread between low and high scores
    PRI 31 point spread
    WMI 11 point spread
    PSI 17 point spread
    FSIQ 23 point spread (not actually reportable)
    GAI 34 point spread

So yes, things can change. I believe you're supposed to wait at least a year before retesting and I think that the recommendation for gifted kids is two years (but I don't know where I got that). Each of my son's sessions were about 2.5 years apart.

Last edited by Kai; 07/11/10 01:35 PM.
    N
    N
    Hi Sky,
    Your dd sounds like my dd at that age, she's 9yo now. She doesn't have ADHD, but just finished the WISC IV and just scored average which floored me! She scored very high on the CoGat at school last year. I wanted her evaluated for behaviors at school as well. Her school doesn't have a gifted program but I wanted to know for my own piece of mind and a neuro-ped suggested that she have an IQ test so we did.
    I don't totally trust the test she had because I know she's extremely smart, no academic issues in school whatsoever and came home with straight A's at the end of 3rd grade. I doubt we'll have her re-tested unless the Drs. suggest doing so. It would be a different story if we were trying to get her into a gifted program but since that's not the issue, guess we won't worry about it.
    Dd always hates "timed" tests and claims that the ones she was given didn't "bother" her but who really knows? It's all conjecture at this point.

As others have mentioned, the Wisc IV cannot be administered more than once every 12 months, ideally less than once every 36 months. Additionally, the testing of very young children is generally less accurate than older kids. And, as you have observed, ADHD can also effect scores.

You mention that she is having academic difficulties and this is a good reason to have a complete neuropsychological evaluation done. If she has ADHD, it is important that the evaluator test for difficulties in the area of executive functioning (planning, sustaining attention, self monitoring, problem soloving). A full academic assessment will help you understand if she has some hidden learning disabilities that need to be addressed. And, of course the WISC will be important to understand her cognitive profile.

My son's scores vary each time he takes the WISC. (he has significant reading disabilities and ADHD). He has taken the WISC 4 times over a period of 8 years and generally his overall pattern of strengths and weaknesses persist, but his actual scores vary widely. Medication did not result in an increase in the WMI and PSI - which are the two indices most impacted by attention. However, his scores on the VCI and PRI did go up after he began taking meds - but I'm not sure if it was age or medication that caused the change.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you all for your replies. Sorry it has taken me so long to thank you! Work is crazy busy and I try to stay off of the computer as much as possible at home, especially in forums such as this where I discuss dd.

I have decided we will re-test. I don't know if she will/will not qualify for DYS; however, it is definitely possible. I would like to have as many options open to us as possible and as much support as we can get. She is now 10, it's been 4 years since her first testing. Since she tested as gifted, but not highly/profoundly, the first time.

She is advanced in most academic areas When I say problems with schooling, the problem is with schooling, not with learning. She is resistant to writing, but her writing, when she does write, can be beautiful and very well done (punctuation, spelling, etc..). We are homeschooling this year, thankfully. Her previous teachers have all said she *struggles* with math, but when I started letting her self-teach through an online program, she is now doing very well. Her performance at brick-and-mortar schools has been very different than at home.

We had considered full testing, but it is not covered by insurance and it is very expensive. It is possible that there is another issue along with her ADHD, but right now neither her psychologist-therapist or psychiatrist think that is related to ASD or asperger's, which has been brought up before.

Thanks again, for all the information - it was so helpful to hear others' experiences.

Michelle

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM