Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #79692 07/03/10 11:57 PM
    B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi all,

Raddy provided some interesting programmes that look fantastic to me.

"Show your kid Cosmos by Sagan, or Jim Khalil on Chemistry, or Eureka (physics - Youtube) and you kid might be like little'un and know more about science in 5 hours than you managed to glean in 5 years at High School poring over books. He might actually grasp quite complex scientific concepts - like Kepler's discovery of elliptical orbits which my son's teacher is quite proud to know nothing about! Same is true for history - you in the US are lucky to have Ken Burns. Same is true for literature) If they fire his interest he might just want to get stuck into the paper himself."

Do any of you have recommendations along the same lines? We don't watch a lot of TV because DS is freaked out by the ads, but in the last two weeks, we found Bang Goes the Theory on BBC and love it! I'm realizing that we can find the titles easily on Youtube.

TIA.

R
    R
    blob

Around the World in 80 Treasures by Dan Cruickshank

Adventures in Architecture by Dan Cruickshank

(One of these visits a temple in India dedicated to sex - just 5 minutes - so be aware)

I Caesar by Seven Arts

A History Of Britain - Schama

there are loads

Shakespeare Films (e.g. Midsummers Nights Dream with Rupert Everett as Oberon)

old Dickens films & TV series
    (eg Great Expectations with John Mills)

Talking 'visually' have you seen these classical comics - come in original text, modern text and quick text - Brilliant. Little'un actiually picked up and read Frankenstein and corrects me if I get the story wrong!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=1906332037&x=22&y=17

One thing to add - and this relates to your earlier post about reading:
    A few years ago the BBC put tfe RSC production of Nicholas Nickleby on TV. Little'un was so moved by the portrayal of Smike that I had to go out and find a 'child friendly' version of the book and he read it in 2 nights.

Last edited by Raddy; 07/04/10 12:22 AM.
    G
    G
    My DS6 is crazy about Dr. Micchio Kaku, too. I didn't even know who he was until I found an email DS had drafted to the physicist, asking him about lightsabers! He takes fun super powers from the popular shows and talks through the physics of how they could (or couldn't) really work. I think I caught him doing one on lightsabers and one on invisibility cloaks, which are both very popular in our house!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Tks for the information, Raddy and gratefulmom. Michio Kaku! Why didn't I think of that?

We've been experimenting with the cable channels in the past one week but the adverts are way too difficult for DS to take, so BBC Knowledge (minimal adverts) and Youtube's the way to go for us. In addition, I found this blogspot with a tonne of recommendations for great documentaries:

http://bookslinksandmore.blogspot.com/2010/07/thought-provoking-documentaries.html

The rest of the blog is amazing too, so do have a look.

Cheers!

R
    R
    blob
    That's a great link - thanks
    have you checked out the Animated Shakespeare programs?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs