Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Our son took the ERB Test (ERB calls it the ECAA test, which has 8/10 subtests from the WPPSI-III). He got a 99%x3 (verbal, performance, and full scale) but our preschool director told us the score was exceptional. His sum of scaled scores was 148 of of 152 (maximum scaled score = 8 subtests x 19). He actually got the maximum 19 scaled score on 7/8 subtests and only received a lower scaled score on the coding section. Our preschool director told us that 99% starts at 125 sum of scaled scores and that anything over 135 was very unusual (145+ extremely uncommon, he had never seen anything over 144 in the past decade). He said he thought (but wasn't 100% sure) that the 148 equated to a 99.99% and an implied full scale IQ of 156 (the maximum achievable on WPPSI-III is 160). I wanted to check if these numbers are correct and if the 148/152 scaled score would be considered to be profoundly gifted. Can anyone comment on this and provide some insight. Thank you.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Sounds like a very high score but I'm not sure who would be able to provide the answers. Is there a conversion table (scaled score to percentile & implied IQ) or perhaps scoring software somewhere that would provide the results???

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Here's a good link from Hoagiesgifted.org. It says that an actual (or implied) full scale IQ score of 152-160 on the WPPSI-III would be in the profoundly gifted category. So if 148/152 scaled scores implies a 156 fill scale IQ, then 1 148 implies profoundly gifted status. The issues are: (1) I don't have a conversion table to check that 148/152 implies a 156 IQ and (2) the ECAA/ERB, which only has 8 of the 10 subtests required for WPPSI-III, may not have enough subtests to be able to calculate or estimate a full scale IQ number.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm

R
    R
    hi iggy2288
    i would suspect that the child is very gifted, possibly profoundly gifted, however the full scale IQ is called that because it involves all the tests. I would go back to the tester and ask that the remaining tests be given so you can get a real full-scale IQ. Also some kids have a test or two that is dramatically lower than the others - my son had a 19 on one test down to a 4 on coding.. so it is unlkely but totally possible to have a lowered score because of this type of weakness. Another thing to think about is that scores on the WPPSI-III are sometimes met with "suspicion" because kids are so young when they take it. My daughters 99.9%tile score was totally pooh-poohed at her school because she was only five when she took it. So we are going to retest on the WISC-IV at age 6 or 7. So i'm not trying ot be negative as those are great great scores just some things to think about.
    irene

For comparison purposes - see
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

Wechsler Preschool & Primary Scale of Intelligence � III (WPPSI-III) Standard score 150+ (99.9th percentile):
    Verbal, Performance or Full Scale

There is no 'standard definition' of gifted in IQ terms, let alone Highly Gifted, Exceptionally Gifted or Profoundly Gifted, but clearly your child's score is unusual in your locality.

My bigger question is 'what is the question in your mind that makes you interested at this moment in time?' Is your son enjoying preschool? Is the program director willing to make changes in the 'business as usual' because of your child's educational needs? What are your child's educational needs? What are your child's social needs? How are things going overall?

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM