Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #71491 03/15/10 08:09 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I am finally going to give in and get my DD7 a Nintendo DS for her Bday.

Just curious as to which games you would recommend for a gifted girl and why?

Gifted Mom #71495 03/15/10 09:11 AM
    Professor Lawton games offer brainteasers at many levels. The play is not action oriented but my DS8 still found it interesting and challenging. Also ScribbleNauts - Problem solving also.

My DS and DD also love to play Pokemon games and I find them to use a lot of strategy/memory and are great social connectors as many of the kids around here are into Pokemon so it gives them something in common to talk about.

Breakaway4 #71503 03/15/10 10:02 AM
    C
    C
    My son, almost 7, got a DS for Christmas a year ago.

The giant hits on DS in our house:

Lego anything- we have Star Wars, Batman and Indiana Jones
    Pokemon anything- we have Diamond, Pearl and Ranger
    Mario anything- we have Kirby, Super Mario Bros and another I'm forgetting.

Other favorites: Henry Hatsworth, Drawn to Life and Drawn to Life the Next Chapter.

Busts: Guitar Hero, Chicken Little, Petz:Tigers and Harry Potter

Gifted Mom #77484 06/04/10 05:30 PM
    A
    A
    My DD (just turned 7) likes Cooking Mama and Animal Crossing at the moment. When she was younger, she really liked Tinkerbell - she hasn't outgrown it, but played it so much that she wanted something new. Littlest Pet Shop has been mostly outgrown.

She also plays Big Brain Academy and Left Brain / Right Brain (borrowed from her grandmother).

If you have a GameStop near you, they have a 7-day no questions asked return policy on used games. Professor Layton and Scribblenauts both got returned. The used games are also a bit cheaper.

AlexsMom #79099 06/27/10 02:16 PM
    A
    A
    My sister, who is gifted, and myself (I might be partially-gifted) like:

~Cooking Mama 1-3 and Gardening Mama smile
    ~Animal Crossing laugh (It's so awesome, I just hope they don't get too attatched to the characters and the move away/they get tired of playing it after a while--long story. But they can also make a new town)
    ~WarioWare DIY (You really get to make things yourself--great for virtuouso's, artists, game-makers-in-the-making, or anyone who enjoys creating things themselves. smile )
    ~Mario (Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Super Mario)
    ~Kirby (anyone that comes out smile )
    ~Megaman Battle Network games (only for game boy, but it certain places they have one used game--all of the Megaman games are used, but they mostly work. Some of them don't)

GameStop is the place to go for getting very New--and Used games. smile You can return things, we've returned a lot (for example, Diary Girl), and we got at least $140. smile

Hope this helps!

smile
    Annetta Roselyn #79106 06/27/10 03:08 PM
    G
    G
    We just bought one for my DS's 6th birthday last week. I'm not a huge fan of videogames, so we treat it like his old Leapster and generally buy educational games. (For those who think this is crazy, I assure you that PG kids can have just as much fun on quests while doing math as they can playing Sponge Bob.) We are also letting him get LEGO Harry Potter, since he's in a HP stage.

So far, he really likes BrainQuest Grade 3-4. He also has Brainquest 5-6 and he likes it, but it's not nearly as easy since he hasn't covered most of the subject matter yet. There's also a Smartbrain 8+ that was just released this week. Someone is giving him in another week or two (delayed birthday present), so we'll check back and report how that one is, too. smile We were also looking at Spelling Challenges, but I think we're going to wait until the Scripps one comes out in October.

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    gratefulmom #79152 06/28/10 08:32 AM
    V
    V
    Use the suggestions my sister Annetta gave you, as well as a few other things you might like!

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    This game has a multitude of puzzles, as well as action.

This is all that I really want to name...I forgot some...0//0

Violet #79389 06/30/10 07:10 AM
    T
    T
    Wish I could destroy my DS7's DSI!
    Talk about obssessed. He will not stop playing a game until he completes it. The pokemom manuals do have some good vocabulary though. I will try to use that a bit for learning new word. I am thinking to tell him to get me 3 new words from the book and look them up. Just a thought, haven't done it. He will ask me what words mean here and there. Other than that I hate that thing ! LOL

traceyqns #79392 06/30/10 07:46 AM
    G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    GD6 loves animals so most of her games reflect that. She loves World Zoo, Sims Animals Africa, and several other animal games (all have some educational value). She also had played Madagascar and the Littlest Pet Shop games. The newest ones are ZuZu Hamster and Petz Hamster (you have to take care of the hamsters). These latter games give her something to share with her friends. I am interested in looking into some of the other games mentioned like Brain Quest and Animal Crossing (didn't realize they made that for the DS).

GM5 #79409 06/30/10 10:04 AM
    T
    T
    You are lucky if she sticks to educational games. I wouldn't mind if my DS7 wasn't so obsessed. It is all he wants to do. I have to drag him out of the house. I would never ban it because this is what the kids his age are doing BUT even when I cut it to 1 hr a day, it still is all he thinks about, talks about even dreams about. I know it is bad bad bad,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM