Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Measurement is a topic my DS7 needs work with. Never learned it in school, CTY is not great teaching it and I HATE it.

Any cool books on it that would help?

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi kcab,
    Well I know my DS7 has no clue what the conversions actually mean. If you asked him what is a pint and what would you use it for he would not be able to answer. So I suppose when to use what measurement and why? I know that is broad.

I don't know where to start. Should I just start with say length until he really gets it and then move on to say weight?

I dk why the schools he is in is skipping this topic.

O
    O
    One thing we do with measuring is we do estimations in the grocery. I think this can help with perfectionism too. My daughter did not want to be wrong to quess how much the fruit weighed. I did the quessing and would show her it was ok when I was wrong. It was just for fun.

I also try to get DC to quess how much the bill will be at the check out. I only take the kids to the store when I have a small list.

There is a series of books called "MathStarts" for kids. They cover this topic in Super Sand Castle Saturday http://www.stuartjmurphy.com/books/level_1/

There may also be something in a series "let read and find out about science".

I think it would be fun to have a grams type scale and guess what things weighed. Or a postal scale. Or a food scale that you can find at the grocery or target. (I may want to do this too- your getting me interested.)

Last edited by onthegomom; 06/22/10 12:51 PM.
    C
    C
    time4learning.com has a fairly robust section on measurement (it covers capacity, temperature, weight, and length separately). It discusses the tools needed for each, and goes over the metric and American units. You can start him at whatever grade level you think is appropriate (like, even 1st grade level, if need be; he'll finish it up in a couple of days -- or even one day, if he's so inclined) then, move him on to 2nd grade level, that'll take another coupe of days, then go on to 3rd grade, etc.

You should at least look at the demos for time4learning to see if its the type of thing that would tickle him. You get a two-week money-back gurantee, and, assuming the program appeals to him, I have NO doubt that he would be up to grade level -- or beyond -- in measurement during that two-week period if you just let him go to town. Now, nothing substitutes real-life measurement, I think, but this is a pretty painless way to help him out (plus there *might* be some other aspects of the site he could take advantage of those couple of weeks).

BTW, you can't just "choose" the measurement section, or even the math section -- you get all or nothing -- but there's nothing to prevent you from using the site the way you want.

What finally helped me to understand what measures meant instead of just memorizing them was to learn the meaning behind the labels. I am a "big picture" type of learner who does not enjoy memorization. Things that are logically linked together are much easier for me to recall. I wish that I had been taught some of these connections in school. I pretty much realized that I needed this type of process on my own.

This is an online dictionary of units of measurement: Units of Measurement (http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/index.html)
    Check the section English Customary Weights and Measures for some interesting explanations.

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. Walt Disney
    D
    D
    For a while our DS really enjoyed playing with liquid measuring cups of various sizes and colored water. (You can also get needle-free syringes from the pharmacy for smaller units.) That got the liquid units down pat for us. Summer is a good time for that project.

He also always had free access to measuring tape and things to measure.

There is a nice series of books about a dog named Penny-- Measuring Penny is the title of the one I'm thinking of for you. It's a math concept book about a variety of kinds of measurement, which my DS found engaging.

One of the few things I like about the Everyday Math curriculum our schools use is that it goes for the big picture concepts about what units are for as well as the details of how to measure: if you wanted to weigh an adult whale, would you do it in ounces, pounds, or tons? How about a baby mouse? Is it better to measure your foot in inches, feet, or yards? And so on.

We extended this to the idea of rounding error: if I round my age to the nearest 10 years (or the nearest decade) you do get a fairly good idea of how old I am; but if you round it to the nearest hundred years (century) it's meaningless. DS finds this hilarious.

DeeDee

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Great ideas everybody! I reall really appreciate it. I am going to check out the time4learning site right now. Having a scale is a great idea. I should make a box of all measurement tools and take them out. I don't even think I have a ruler. I am avoiding the topic because I just don't like it. Maybe I never learned it in school myself LOL

O
    O
    Has anyone seen an explaination for measurement of time/years that explains terms like centuries, decade, AD, BC, timelines with history or art history for elementary?

O
    O
    brainpop.com has information on measurement. You can sign up for a 5 day free trial.

M
    M
    This is my favorite for volume and capacity, Measurement Man: http://www.mathwire.com/measurement/measurementman.pdf.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...