Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    After much looking around and going to preschools I had given up and decided DS wouldn't be going to one and if an opportunity presented itself I would take it but, otherwise we would just skip it. I got an email that our children's museum was going to start doing preschool! I signed up for it. It sounds perfect.

"The Children's Museum preschool cultivates children's natural interests within the classroom and museum setting by applying the principles and practices of Maria Montessori and Reggio Emilia. Certified, experienced teachers will guide each child's preferences by asking questions and encouraging discussions. As children begin to explore topics and skills that interest them, they'll begin to think critically, and increase their confidence, self-reliance, and socialization. Math and language development will happen naturally, and problem-solving will occur logically, through play and interaction with others."

So excited. They also have a bit of museum time built every class so they get a bit more hands on stuff. The other preschools were hoping the kids could recognize their own name printed out by mid year and doing alphabet sounds. EEEEEK he would have started acting up for sure.

I really just wanted somewhere he could explore and make some friends. Since 'Sid the Science Kid' school isn't real (ha ha) this seems like a good alternative.

N
    N
    Oooh, I love children's museums. That sounds awesome. smile

Keep us posted on what you think of it ... this is the first preschool linked to a Children's Museum that I've heard of. The description sounds great!

B
    OP Offline
    B
    They used to have one-off classes there which we went to and they were fun. They just remodeled a lot of the museum and have a whole new classroom wing so I guess they decided to give this a try.

T
    T
    that sounds cool. I look forward to hearing more about it as school starts for him. Will there be a range of ages in the program?

B
    OP Offline
    B
    It is ages 3-5, DS turns 5 Sept 8th so, too young for K here even with a waiver. (If only he had been born on his DUE date of Sept 1st! lol) He actually is young enough he could go there again next year their cut off is Aug 31st and he turns 6 that Sept 8th. It would be pretty funny to send him to K here as a 6 year old turning 7 probably ready for 3rd or 4th grade, ha ha. I could also just send him to two years of preK and then straight to 1st. K isn't required here.

I am not sure if they will be all together or separated. I have a feeling they are going to be separated. It is pretty weird for me to just sign up for something sight unseen but, we have gone to many one off classes there and loved them. I am actually pretty excited about it. We will see what happens on day one when I have to leave him there; he is my only and I don't know how Mommy is going to do. 8)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent