Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    W
    Definitely give LISG a call. Carol Yilmaz is still the director, I believe, and she is very nice. Usually, though, you have to fax them your score report before they'll have an in depth discussion with you. I think their website (lisg.org) has a pre-admission questionnaire that you fill out and fax in with the report, then they get back to you within a couple of weeks or so.

My son had a very successful 5th grade year there (although we left at the end of the school year -- he was only there for 4th and 5th). They teach a world languages class in 5th grade that he just loved, where the kids learn some linguistics and delve into the history of a number of different language. And there are some really stand out teacher. My son (who is a science guy) admits that, hands down, on of the best teachers he has ever had is Mrs. Williams, one of the English teacher's there. She is tough, but amazing. And there are a number of kids that enter in the 5th and 6th grades, so don't be put off by that. And their classes are ability-grouped, so they can place your child where she needs to be by subject. If she can handle more advanced English, but only slightly advanced math, they can do that. As for the tuition, they do offer scholarships, but I'm not sure how much and what applying for one entails. And if you live too far from Huntington Station to qualify for district busing, the bus company that handles private busing for the school (Delux in Port Washington) has also been known to work out manageable payment plans with families.

While I knew about Syosset being one of the most coveted public school districts by parents of GT kids looking to move, I had no idea about Bay Shore. Good to know!

L
    LICAL3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    thanks wayoutwest. I am waiting for a call back from LISG. Thanks for sharing your personal story- it does make me feel better about the possibility of LISG, whereas the psychologist really kind of made me think it may not be a good fit. I didn't know they had scholarships wither, so we will definitely look into that. The school is about 12 miles from our house and NYS ed law states you have to be within 15 miles, so that part is covered ( I suppose...depending on the school district's mood).

R
    R
    I also have met Carol Yilmaz and i remember she told me that the kids work up to three grade levels ahead but it is all based on subject. Its set up more like a middle school then a grade school with kids changing classes. So i don't think its true at all that kids are all two grade levels ahead. I got the impresssion that there were kids that were on grade level for some thing and then up to three grade levels ahead for others.
    irene

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs