Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #77380 06/03/10 09:29 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    DH and I met with the school admins to pitch some differentiation for DS8 for next year. Frankly, we didn't think we had set our sights all that high for what we were asking.

DS8 has tested very strong verbally, and above-average in Math. He was accepted as a DYS, but I wouldn't say he's at the level of lots of the kids here. VCI on the WISC was 144, FSIQ of 130 and GAI of 142. His recent scores on the Verbal part of the SCAT placed him in the 97th percentile 2 grades ahead.

So, the things we heard were, "if his IQ and Achievement are so in-line with each other, then he's doing fine." We also heard, "we have lots of kids with scores like this, and they're doing fine" without accommodations. They also questioned his processing speed being slow on the WISC and why we only gave them the abbreviated report (the one intended for the school) from the psychologist.

So, I walked away feeling like they're saying none of our concerns (such as perfectionism, unwillingness to take on challenge and his lack of care on his work) are "school" issues, but instead are just parenting issues.

I suppose part of this is a vent, and another part is asking how anyone here might have responded to such things. I dislike confrontation, and started feeling like maybe we're off base with our requests. Maybe we are just not raising DS correctly or maybe all these concerns are just in my head. Hopefully, I'm just feeling tense after the meeting, and maybe they will provide some accommodations next year. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

E
    E
    Nope, you are NOT a bad parent! Try not to let the school's stonewall make you doubt yourself.

Are you in a state that has mandated gifted programming? If so, check out the school and state's criteria for Gifted Education. With a FS of 130 he should qualify almost everywhere I heard about. The GAI is even better but many schools do not recognize this value yet.

Next, since you have the Psych report, can you ask the Psych to come to one of the school meetings with you? The school may back down on the implied parenting problem with a outside expert attending. From the sounds of your post, they did not seem to be in an accomodating mood at the meeting. I'd push for another meeting with the outside expert. That takes the pressure off of you.

I have to find the link to an article I read a few years ago. It talked about how, often, schools shift all the blame to either the student or the parents and try to make everything a behavioral problem not a school problem.

Just keep reminding yourself that you are NOT a bad parent!!!

Hugs!

Last edited by elh0706; 06/03/10 09:40 AM.
    O
    O
    My school meetings were very hard on me emotionally too. What I have concluded is our school in general and others just does not have the experience/training to understand a DYS kids needs. I hope they will be open to helping your child. I agree that if you can get them to listen to someone else like a psychologist it may help. Some parents have given their schools some short magazine articles that support their cause. This did not help in our case, but you never know. Hang in there.

Last edited by onthegomom; 06/03/10 09:55 AM.
    I
    I
    It's almost like dealing with an insurance company where they automatically deny your first request because most people will just give up at that point. This would be the time for a follow up letter where you reiterate your request in writing. The "we have lots of kids with scores like this, and they're doing fine" is a standard way to make you feel like a PITA. You're doing your job as a parent by advocating and the issues you're addressing require help from the school. Hugs to you and now get to writing that letter! smile
    P.S.
    Ultimately, though, the proportion of gifted children in a school�s population is a red herring. Why? Because in the absence of an educational plan, the statement �We have lots of children like yours� is meaningless. Or, worse than meaningless: It suggests that the school has not one bored, underchallenged child working 5-10 years below grade level, but multiple bored, underchallenged children working 5-10 years below grade level.
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/private_pg.htm

Last edited by inky; 06/03/10 10:34 AM. Reason: PS
    You go Inky!! That is the best analogy i've ever seen for this situation. "The squeaky wheel blah, blah blah" is a very true statement when it comes to advocating. One thing that I would suggest you do is learn the chain of command for your district. When the school fails to respond start climbing the ladder. It may take some time but eventually they will make accomodations just to shut you up!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    I love it Inky!

A friend had a similar situation. The Principal said "No other parents are complaining. We have many kids like yours and they are fine." LIE LIE LIE. My friend found out that in fact, several parents were complaining and they were all given the same story.

Where's the banging head on the wall smiley?

Dazey

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for the support and suggestions.

DS attends a private school, which makes things more complicated. When you hit a wall with the administration, there's just no place to go. The weird thing is that I've believed forever that DS is different from his peers, but at this meeting, I really started questioning it and thinking that maybe it's just some delusion I have. Like I said, DS isn't as advanced as many here, but he's different enough that the current curriculum is just not a good fit.

Unfortunately, asking the psych to attend isn't an option here -- would take forever to make that happen. I do wonder if DYS can help at all with our efforts, but we haven't gotten had a chance to talk with them yet since our meeting.

Inky, I love the quote. Thanks for putting it there. I feel better knowing that if they use it as a reason to deny the changes, I will have a reply.

kcab, good luck with the plan for your DS7.

Well, keep your fingers crossed pleasae. We're hoping to have answers in the next week or so.

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    I love it Inky!

A friend had a similar situation. The Principal said "No other parents are complaining. We have many kids like yours and they are fine." LIE LIE LIE. My friend found out that in fact, several parents were complaining and they were all given the same story.
    Dazey
    We've seen this happen too. Apparently it isn't 'lying' if it produces the desired result in many people's books - it's just the way you play the game.

Very Sad,
    Grimity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    "Wow, you have a lot of kids with scores like that. How exciting. That opens up a lot of options for ability grouping in order to meet all of their needs. Lets talk about that."

I
    I
    That really stinks! You're writing a big check to these people who are causing you to doubt what you know about your son and causing you to question whether you're a good parent. You can get that for free at a public school. wink

When my oldest was in 1st grade I was given some bad normative data for her standardized tests and told that she wasn't gifted. It threw me for a loop and made me question what I knew from the previous 6 years of being her mother. Luckily with help from this board, I figured out it was bad norms instead of me being delusional. It makes me angry to hear about other parents being treated this way and I hope you'll get some better answers from the school.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM