DH and I met with the school admins to pitch some differentiation for DS8 for next year. Frankly, we didn't think we had set our sights all that high for what we were asking.

DS8 has tested very strong verbally, and above-average in Math. He was accepted as a DYS, but I wouldn't say he's at the level of lots of the kids here. VCI on the WISC was 144, FSIQ of 130 and GAI of 142. His recent scores on the Verbal part of the SCAT placed him in the 97th percentile 2 grades ahead.

So, the things we heard were, "if his IQ and Achievement are so in-line with each other, then he's doing fine." We also heard, "we have lots of kids with scores like this, and they're doing fine" without accommodations. They also questioned his processing speed being slow on the WISC and why we only gave them the abbreviated report (the one intended for the school) from the psychologist.

So, I walked away feeling like they're saying none of our concerns (such as perfectionism, unwillingness to take on challenge and his lack of care on his work) are "school" issues, but instead are just parenting issues.

I suppose part of this is a vent, and another part is asking how anyone here might have responded to such things. I dislike confrontation, and started feeling like maybe we're off base with our requests. Maybe we are just not raising DS correctly or maybe all these concerns are just in my head. Hopefully, I'm just feeling tense after the meeting, and maybe they will provide some accommodations next year. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.