Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    If you honestly think this may be a personal response due to your advocacy, etc. I would try to get copies of as much as I can (grades, etc) as soon as possible. I tend to think this doesn't happen very often, but it is one of those situations where you it is a better safe ... situation.

I agree with everyone else, this is the time for your to just get as many facts as possible as quickly as possible.

Good luck,Cat

That sounds remarkably like a principal I worked for a few years ago. Unpleasant man.

Anyway, first thing I'd do is look at any written policies your school has for its gifted program. Do they list missing deadlines as a reason for being removed from the program? (Oh, I guess it goes without saying, but find out whether your son actually DID miss those deadlines, by how much, and under what circumstances.)

"Insubordination" is treated with varying degrees of seriousness depending on the school and people involved, but I've never heard of it being used as cause for denying special education services. Combined with your "vendetta" theory, this suggests that the principal might have a personal issue with your son rather than/as well as with you.

As others have said, get all the documents together that you can.

Ultimately, if the principal is against you, there's little-to-nothing that can be done at the school level; you'll have to approach the district. This might actually work in your favor, though, as this principal sounds like the cowardly sort (from the fact that he didn't make any contact with you about these supposed issues until the last minute). Principals who are that timid in dealing with parents are also usually timid in dealing with their superiors.

Insubordination is a bizarre word choice. going against the rules of someone in charge of you (like disobeying a commanding officer). What does that have to do with the situation?

Have you spoken to your son? What does he know about all this?

Why don't you just pick up the phone and call the school and ask the principal what is going on? Ask to see specific details.

All the advice you received looks to be solid. The only thing I would caution you about is the direct contact with his teacher. I suspect the teacher will be on the defense immediately because if your son did in fact not meet deadlines and the teacher did not attempt to communicate this with you, he/she will be a fault and he/she will be covering his/her @ss. This is why I 100% agree with the detective role ... take emotion out of the equation. Go down a list with the teacher and expect the results: ie. grades, assignments he didn't finish on time and how late did he turn them in. Also is this a recent situation or has it been going on all school year. One question you should definitely ask is if the teacher attempted to contact you. They might argue they did by sending a note home with your son, but no matter how many notes were sent through your son it isn't direct contact attempts with you. Did they attempt to call or email you? This is the information you need to gather. Then and only then would I contact the principal and talk to him again because now you have the full picture. And absolutely research your state and district requirements and rules. If you provide more info, I'm sure you will have some help on the research front from this board.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM