Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    I was browsing at Barnes and Noble today, and saw a Physics kit by "Thames and Kosmos" - it caught my eye, as I had never seen a physics kit before - plenty of chemistry kits, but not physics. I was just wondering if anyone has any good/bad feedback about the kits ? Ds turns 7 next week and I need ideas smile

M
    M
    How serious is he about science?

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by melmichigan
    How serious is he about science?

I think he's pretty interested. We haven't really done much at home - his school is based on "Math, Science and Technology", so he gets alot of exposure there. His teacher says he has a scientific mind - but at home he really doesn't show much interest in anything until it is put in front of him. I run a daycare, and all the kids are alot younger, so I'm trying to find stuff he can do by himself, or with me when the kids are napping.

N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    Overall, it seems pretty good; however, I really can't comment on the formal teaching it provides, as for DS it is really just for fun and we let him use it however he wants.

This is exactly what it would be - for him to play with while I'm busy smile Thanks for your input!

K
    K
    I've heard great things about these kits - both from a tinkering perspective and from people who have used them as actual homeschool curriculum. We just got one delivered to our house last week! I'm looking forward to playing with it! I have a DS9 and a DD almost 6. My kids dug in and starting building things with it immediately, but I also want to go through and reinforce some physics concepts we learned this year. Mainly for DS, but DD enjoys coming along for the ride too.

We have one of the physics kits and our DS7 really has enjoyed it. There are quite a few activities that I have not seen in other science kits, which is nice. He is able to do several (but not all)of the activities on his own. We have gotten more use out of it than his chemistry set! I think my husband even used some of the components for a Halloween costume!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations