Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: NCPMom "Thames and Kosmos" Physics kits - 05/31/10 09:55 PM
I was browsing at Barnes and Noble today, and saw a Physics kit by "Thames and Kosmos" - it caught my eye, as I had never seen a physics kit before - plenty of chemistry kits, but not physics. I was just wondering if anyone has any good/bad feedback about the kits ? Ds turns 7 next week and I need ideas smile
Posted By: melmichigan Re: "Thames and Kosmos" Physics kits - 05/31/10 11:44 PM
How serious is he about science?
Posted By: NCPMom Re: "Thames and Kosmos" Physics kits - 06/01/10 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by melmichigan
How serious is he about science?

I think he's pretty interested. We haven't really done much at home - his school is based on "Math, Science and Technology", so he gets alot of exposure there. His teacher says he has a scientific mind - but at home he really doesn't show much interest in anything until it is put in front of him. I run a daycare, and all the kids are alot younger, so I'm trying to find stuff he can do by himself, or with me when the kids are napping.
Posted By: NCPMom Re: "Thames and Kosmos" Physics kits - 06/01/10 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by cricket3
Overall, it seems pretty good; however, I really can't comment on the formal teaching it provides, as for DS it is really just for fun and we let him use it however he wants.

This is exactly what it would be - for him to play with while I'm busy smile Thanks for your input!
Posted By: kimck Re: "Thames and Kosmos" Physics kits - 06/01/10 04:13 AM
I've heard great things about these kits - both from a tinkering perspective and from people who have used them as actual homeschool curriculum. We just got one delivered to our house last week! I'm looking forward to playing with it! I have a DS9 and a DD almost 6. My kids dug in and starting building things with it immediately, but I also want to go through and reinforce some physics concepts we learned this year. Mainly for DS, but DD enjoys coming along for the ride too.
Posted By: 2SillyMonsters Re: "Thames and Kosmos" Physics kits - 06/01/10 01:45 PM
We have one of the physics kits and our DS7 really has enjoyed it. There are quite a few activities that I have not seen in other science kits, which is nice. He is able to do several (but not all)of the activities on his own. We have gotten more use out of it than his chemistry set! I think my husband even used some of the components for a Halloween costume!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum