Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #77152 05/30/10 04:51 PM
    EGMum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am so at a loss with DS8 who is EG. His behaviour is so terrible. .and is driving us around the bend ! The usual suspects.. not doing as he is told, arguing, silly behaviour, talking back, hyperactivity etc ...

Any advice on how to manage EG kids behaviour???

Thanks ! Lou

EGMum #77153 05/30/10 05:16 PM
    Arguing/challenging are horrible problems for us, too. DS7 doesn't do it as much with DH, but I try to come up with logical answers for his problems/questions and it turns into a long drawn out session that never seems to end...unless I happen upon the EXACT answer/response he is seeking. DH doesn't argue at all with him...he gives him one answer and stops. So...that should be my answer for myself: Stop arguing with him! I keep thinking he's going to accept my logic, but he usually does not.

Anyway, sorry, I do not have advice for you...but I hope someone does because I need help, too!! Nan

EGMum #77156 05/30/10 05:21 PM
    O
    O
    Go on vigourous long hikes in the woods. That does wonders for everyone. Lots of exercise and keep busy, but not over scheduled works for us.

Read books and Davidson Database for ideas. A major perspective change for me was reading a book that helps with sensitive kids -Children are from heaven. (It's not religious)

One on one attention goes a long way too. I can see the difference in my kids behavior when they don't get enough.

Bad behavior can be dealt with time outs and sometime I make my child anwser a questionaire I make up to reflect on what he did.

Try to ignore as much bad behavior as you can and give a disappointed look for behavior. Be interested in desirable behavior and remind him to be proud of his efforts.

This is a lot of work. Give your self some breaks if you can.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by onthegomom; 05/30/10 05:23 PM.
    EGMum #77158 05/30/10 05:58 PM
    EGMum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am seriously considering acceleration (it was reccommended a year ago but we decided against it) ... any thoughts on this would be appreciated.. Lou

onthegomom #77159 05/30/10 06:02 PM
    EGMum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks so much for your reply! .. just talking abt it helps immensely when it all gets too much! a questionaire is perfect ! he makes everything sooo complicated normally so he would really be into that! Yes, one on one attention is definitely good, problem is we have 2 other children who are 6 and 4 (hes 8) ... so this sometimes is hard. He then in turn winds up the other 2 and it becomes extremely hard!
    x

Kate #77160 05/30/10 06:26 PM
    EGMum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you Nan ... we came home from a few days away with DS4- surgery for grommets and his grandmother was in tears becasue she could not handle him ! and she was convinced he was jsut being rude and disrespectful to her ! .. it is SO hard - I tried to tell her it was not personal.. he was of the opinion that she had not been respectful to him. He does not understand that he is a child!

EGMum #77187 05/31/10 05:01 AM
    Lou, That is what my DS says too..."She was not being respectful to me." His OT is specifically working with him on that and she calls it working on the jobs of a child, a 7 year old...because my DS (like yours) does not understand he is a child. Argh! Nan

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM