Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #77076 05/28/10 08:48 AM
    OP Offline
    DS has become entranced with atoms and molecules lately, and I would like to get him a molecular modeling kit. Any suggestions on one you have and like, or pros and cons. I've seen ones with very small atoms, and then there are the more traditional (but more expensive) sets with nice sized wooden balls for atoms. I am leaning toward the larger size, just seems easier to work with, but would like to hear any suggestions or things to think about (I take it should have a lot of carbon pieces!)

Thanks, Cat

Last edited by Catalana; 05/28/10 08:49 AM.
    C
    C
    Is this your DS8 (not sure if you have other children)? If so, assuming he doesn't have specific fine motor problems, I would suggest that the smaller ones are not likely to be a problem to handle and they have the advantage that supplementary sets tend to be cheaper and big molecules take up less space than with the bigger sets (our DS likes to build polymers!). We bought DS-then-5 this Orbit set:
    http://www.cochranes.co.uk/show_product.asp?id=398&catid=43
    (given that he was obsessed with chemistry *and* used to choose modelling straws as his craft activity the whole time, it took us an embarrassingly long time to twig that he needed a set!)
    It's a 10mm set but actually I think the 6mm ("Minit") set would have been fine for him too; he never had any trouble handling it.
    We've needed to buy specific extras several times, and this range has a lot of them:
    http://www.cochranes.co.uk/show_category.asp?id=82
    - a bag of 100 phosphoruses makes a wonderful stocking present we found :-)

I can also thoroughly recommend this chemistry book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-Dictionary-Chemistry-Usborne-Dictionaries/dp/0746077467
    if you're in the market for something approachable but thorough.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    OP Offline
    ColinsMum,

Thanks so much, this is just the sort of feedback I was looking for. Yes, it is for DS8 (I have a DD5 too smile ) and he doesn't have any fine motor issues - it is legos galore around here. And I hadn't even thought about things getting too big, I am glad you pointed that out.

Thanks again, Cat

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Thanks for sharing this ColinsMum - this is a great site and I have just got DS8 a set - I have a feeling that DS5 will also be very interested...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations