Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Tell me I am not alone!!??

We just got or son's Stanford Achievement Scores and he did not do so hot :-(! Is this normal with 2e kids- huge difference with performance scores compared to ability?!
    Our boy (2nd grader) is currently on an IEP for speech, Title I program for reading and we had him tested last year for learning disabilities (his reading and writing are coming along very slowly so wanted him checked out). The psychologist suggested getting him tested for Auditory Processing Disorder but we haven't yet (scheduled for next week- after we got the scores I felt we should go and do it). There was also concern about dyslexia (I personally do not feel this is an issue). He is way behind on reading (could this have impacted his scores, even the non-reading subcategories?)

What are some other reasons that there is such a huge gap. His ability and IQ has been tested more than once (through the school and with the psychologist when doing LD screening) so I do not think it is an accidental thing- his ability scores did improve but different test so I assume it is normal for slightly different results. His achievement seems to have declined between the last year!!!

I am at a loss

U
    U
    Hi Jolene

You are not alone! I am going through a similar frustration at the moment. My DS(10) was assessed by an ed psych 2 years ago, and achieved a FSIQ of 146, with his VIQ and PIQ very similar (I think 140 and 146 respectively). He is dyslexic and dysgraphic.

Anyway......at school they are preparing the children for the next stage in their school life, which involves common entrance exams, so the children are given exposure to verbal and non-verbal reasoning tests. DS had to be placed in a "supported" group because he "really struggled with these". I just threw my hands up in disgust. How can a children with a FSIQ of 146 struggle with verbal and non-verbal reasoning tests at school?

They have also done some Cognitive Ability Testing. I have asked for the results so I can compare them to his IQ result.

Very frustrating!

Leigh

E
    E
    If he's got a verbal deficit why are they using the Stanford to test him? Could you request a redo with a non-verbal test such as Raven's Progressive Matrices?

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM