Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: jolene77 Gap Between Achievement and Ability - 05/20/10 12:34 AM
Tell me I am not alone!!??

We just got or son's Stanford Achievement Scores and he did not do so hot :-(! Is this normal with 2e kids- huge difference with performance scores compared to ability?!
Our boy (2nd grader) is currently on an IEP for speech, Title I program for reading and we had him tested last year for learning disabilities (his reading and writing are coming along very slowly so wanted him checked out). The psychologist suggested getting him tested for Auditory Processing Disorder but we haven't yet (scheduled for next week- after we got the scores I felt we should go and do it). There was also concern about dyslexia (I personally do not feel this is an issue). He is way behind on reading (could this have impacted his scores, even the non-reading subcategories?)

What are some other reasons that there is such a huge gap. His ability and IQ has been tested more than once (through the school and with the psychologist when doing LD screening) so I do not think it is an accidental thing- his ability scores did improve but different test so I assume it is normal for slightly different results. His achievement seems to have declined between the last year!!!

I am at a loss
Hi Jolene

You are not alone! I am going through a similar frustration at the moment. My DS(10) was assessed by an ed psych 2 years ago, and achieved a FSIQ of 146, with his VIQ and PIQ very similar (I think 140 and 146 respectively). He is dyslexic and dysgraphic.

Anyway......at school they are preparing the children for the next stage in their school life, which involves common entrance exams, so the children are given exposure to verbal and non-verbal reasoning tests. DS had to be placed in a "supported" group because he "really struggled with these". I just threw my hands up in disgust. How can a children with a FSIQ of 146 struggle with verbal and non-verbal reasoning tests at school?

They have also done some Cognitive Ability Testing. I have asked for the results so I can compare them to his IQ result.

Very frustrating!

Leigh
Posted By: eldertree Re: Gap Between Achievement and Ability - 05/28/10 06:06 PM
If he's got a verbal deficit why are they using the Stanford to test him? Could you request a redo with a non-verbal test such as Raven's Progressive Matrices?
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum