Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #77056 05/28/10 03:05 AM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I've just recently allowed my DD to use my computer to play online games or search Google for pictures etc. and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for safe, fun, and even educational, websites for preschool age kids. Thanks!

S
    S

N
    N
    I've got about a million bookmarks in DD's browser. Is there anything in particular your DD is interested in?

Last edited by no5no5; 05/28/10 07:34 AM.
    K
    K
    Hi,

Reading Eggs is great - http://readingeggs.com/ and has a free trial period.

Depending on the age of your daughter, I think the Sesame St one is not bad. http://www.sesamestreet.org/

Hi TT,

It sounds like you might be allowing her some freedom to explore as well. If you're concerned about her looking up something in Google and having questionable links come up, you might want to look into some kids' browsers. Firefox has a few that you can download and they're free. What it basically does is create a portal to their kid approved sites. So you don't risk them getting to questionable information. Most of these software also have links to all the kids' online games and they keep records that they will email to you about your child's activity on the internet. (Where they went, how long they were on, etc)

As for online games, DD loves www.pbskids.org which is their free site, but they also have one that you could pay for if you choose. We also have readingeggs and DD loves it way more than starfall, probably because the graphics are so much better and they get to collect eggs as they progress. I've also tried www.ixl.com, but DD doesn't really like it. She finds it boring probably more to do with basic graphics such as starfall. I wish I could find a math program similar to readingeggs. If anyone knows one please let me know!

T
    OP Offline
    T
    thanks. I don't leave her alone at the computer for more than a few minutes here and there and I do have Internet settings adjusted to filter out adult things, but things could slip through the cracks so I will look into the browsers you mentioned. Thanks again.

B
    B
    Have you guys tried the BBC websites for math and English?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks1bitesize/literacy/

The website goes on to KS2 and KS3.

We did not stumble upon this when my son was younger, but he did the KS2 and KS3 levels (It's stated for up to 12 or 13 yo. Very objectively, they're not at level, ie, they're great for younger kids). One particular game that my son just loved was Questionaut with the lovely graphics and beautiful music.

Enjoy!

K
    K
    Hi Katelyn'sMom,

For maths sites, my daughter enjoyed Smart Kiddies http://www.smartkiddies.com.au/
    It's graphic's aren't great, but my daughter, who didn't like star fall did like this site. It also has little instructional videos which she loved. You can start at any grade level you like.

I haven't used it, but I believe the Mathletics site is excellent. http://www.mathletics.com.au/

Unfortunately they're both user pays sites.

Last edited by Kvmum; 05/29/10 01:28 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM