Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    matmum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    My niece's daughter(2.8) is very bright and goes, goes, goes from sun up to sun down (no nap time any more frown ). She also has an 8 month old. I would really appreciate advice on any activities, done at home, you have found that keep your youngsters independently engaged so mum can have a bit of a breather.

TIA

A
    A
    oh man I wish I knew LOL. My DD 3.2 goes goes goes the sam way, and quite napping around 2.3. I couldn't do it with another child. Not much keeps her occupied by herself although she is getting better at it, but mainly because she has insessent questions she needs answered. Now that she can write and spell I ask her to write them down for mama and I will answer them later. And reading has now become a fairly idependent activity. Legos can be around that age to, the larger ones, and puzzles I found were too. Good luck to her.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    K
    K
    Hi matmum - I too wish I had advice. My dd, now 4, is only just starting to be able to entertain herself. I think really until now - as amazedmom suggested, dd always needed someone to answer questions/do the things she couldn't physically do herself etc. Now she only needs my undivided attention for 2/3s of the day smile It's been a long process and I have had to force her to spend time on her own, even for 20 minutes - often she would just sit there and do nothing until I was available again (one of the few times she would just sit!) She just doesn't stop. Even when I read to her she is wriggling, jiggling and jumping - but she's listening and can recite everything you've said. The only time she slows down is to read to herself before lights out - she wont read to herself during the day though (unless she's strapped down in the car...)

I do second the puzzles - that was something she would spend some time doing at that age, especially the block ones that form a different picture on each side. They took a bit of time as she had to find the right sides before she could put them together.

I think it's just how these kids are (though hope someone else can give you a different answer!). Amazedmom - I don't know that I'd could have done it with a second either!

T
    T
    Hi,

In my opinion, a mom has to learn how to say no and set boundaries. I speak from experience and I know it can be much harder with children like this because they crave the interaction and information an adult can provide, but at some point, the mom needs to show the child that she is a person with needs and boundaries and that lesson will be good for everyone. I have two that are very similar so know how challenging it can be. Oh, mine also challenge authority and talking incessantly--fortunately they are just so cute that it makes it a little easier. I have found that I just had to set boundaries and take time to breathe otherwise I was burning out. I am home full time with them and their dad was traveling a lot so it was survival to learn to pull back a little bit. It took time. One thing she can do is start an activity with the child, then walk away for a minute, then return, and as time goes on walk away for longer and longer periods. My DD who just turned four loves coloring, playdough, drawing, books, and most of all makebelieve play, there are also appropriate computer games for this age. I also find it easier doing things out of the house sometimes: parks, storytime, classes, etc. Good luck!

B
    B
    Check this out:
    http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2009/03/quiet-time-bins.html
    Basically they are just boxes the kids get only during quiet time so it makes them more special. Sounds like it could be useful.

K
    K
    I love those boxes BigBadWool - great idea.

Matmum - I didn't say it in my message, but definitely agree with TwinkleToes that setting up an activity is an important part of the process. Even if, as per my dd, they wont play with it while you're not doing it with them at the start, eventually they will run with it.

C
    C
    i keep my son cycling or playing with many games and toys. this keeps him busy as i am a WAHM so i need time to work too other than the household jobs.

M
    matmum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all so much for the advice and suggestions, I shall pass them on.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent